Sign in to follow this  
Kryton

Guild Thursdays

As we come to the end of the first proper BFA lockout I think it is time to start thinking about what the guild will do in terms of organised group activities.

Last expansion we dedicated Thursday night to raiding on normal which worked well for about half the expansion. After that we slid into heroic mode and personally I found that to be more draining and ultimately less fun. Players dropped away as raiding got more serious and overall I think we ended the expansion on a bit of a downward ebb (despite squeezing the achievement out in the dying hours). I also think that some people missed out on mythic + as other things got in the way and efficiently getting your chest became the priority (I'm not blaming anyone here btw, I did agree to heroic raids afterall).

With a few old friends returning to look at BFA and changes in peoples personal lives impacting their availability (subtle announcement that I had been keeping quiet but Claire and I are having a baby in about 10 weeks) I would really like BoT to focus on being an inviting, relaxed guild that allows people to drift in and out more casually. For this reason, I do not want to run heroic raids this expansion. If someone else wants to do that on another night, they are more than welcome and I may even turn up on occasion but it really isn't the type of content I want to be running.

BFA is giving us lots of options for group activities to choose from:

1. Raiding
  2. Mythic +
  3. Island Expeditions
  4. Warfronts
  5. World Quests

All of these cater for a different number of players and as you go down the list even roles become entirely flexible so I feel this expansion is probably the best yet for a guild that doesn't know if 5 or 15 people will turn up to "raid night". It doesn't matter how many people can make it or who they are, there is always something we can do as a group. It might involve splitting into a few groups, it might even involve racing one group against another just for the fun of it but the important part is literally anyone can go.

I'll keep this thread up to date with plans and we can use it to discuss options for the next content to tackle.

Upcoming lockouts

23/8 - Mythic 0 runs and Island Expeditions

30/8 - Mythic 0 runs and Island Expeditions

6/9 - Uldir raid (or Mythic + and islands if we don't have the numbers)

13/9 - Uldir raid

20/9 - Uldir raid

27/9 - Uldir raid (possibly on extended lockout)

4/10 - Uldir raid with extended lockout

11/10 - Uldir raid (fresh lockout)

18/10 - No events

25/10 - Uldir raid

1/11 - No events

8/11 - M+ groups

PLEASE INSTALL DISCORD AND JOIN THE BOT GROUP FOR VOICE-COMS

Edited by Kryton

Was hoping for normal raiding returning, I should be able to commit and I've talked Lou into how nice you all are so she was going to come along too. 

On the Thursdays I think I'd prefer to stick to activities that need larger groups so mythics / normal raiding. But I'll try to be on for whatever 

I have no life, will be here for whatever. I enjoy the challenge of Heroic content a lot, but I could see how it wasn't working for us as a guild definitely toward the end of the expansion so agree with moving away from it. I might try and PUG that sort of stuff. Maybe a couple of us would want to do that together, who knows. Saying that; knowing this guild, we'll get a raid on Normal on farm, get a bit bored, someone will suggest we try Heroic...

Also contrats on form babby!

Just now, Sharp said:

"Let's just do the 1st couple on heroic and see how it goes....."

Will quite clearly be said by Sharp at some point as a joke at which point Gax will run with it :D

@Dave I agree so those will be the priority but at least now if we find we are 8 people or something we actually have the viable choice of warfront or a few island groups rather than the aggravation of trying to find puggies.

I just want to make an observation based on last week and a small request for everyone. There are lots of dungeons going on right now where often there are more than five people online and different people want different difficulties and are locked to different things. It's fine if sometimes people have to pug a couple of spots and the groups are not perfectly balanced or whatever as the content is all doable and it's not really a problem. And sometimes people will miss out on a run and find something else to do. Mostly people just invite the first people to reply and that's totally reasonable.

But for Thursdays it's a bit different. This is the one organised day that we're telling people to come online for a specific time and join in with some group content. That means we have a collective responsibility to make sure that everyone can take part and that the groups make sense. Last week we had eight people online looking to do dungeons and suddenly there was a group of five and off they went without checking who was left or what we could do. As it happened it was me/Sarah/Welsper and we weren't locked to anything so we just pugged the other slots. A couple of people in the first group apologised to us afterwards and honestly it wasn't a big issue because that was just base Mythics so they're easy to pug. But it is something to keep in mind because if we end up doing M+ runs on Thursdays at some point then it's much more important that we try to balance things and not have people feeling like they're the B-team or the leftovers or whatever.

Basically please remember that Thursdays is meant to be inclusive guild content. Everyone has to share a little bit of the responsibility for making that happen.

First proper night of this tonight (kinda) and there are a lot of people recently at 120. Everyone is welcome to mythics. If you're undergeared you're still welcome to come as we have players with enough gear to help a weaker player get through as DPS (tank/healer might be a little more tricky).

Intended kick off is 8pm UK time and I will try to be on for that time.

I've set up in-game calendar events for the guild for both tonight's mythic runs and next week's Uldir run so far, for everyone at level 120.

After that, hopefully people will have an idea on what character/s they're likely to be raiding on and I'll set up the raiding rank in the guild again to throw out invites to all raiders for the next few raids, so you all have another easy one button way of letting people know if you're around or not on a given Thursday, rather than having everyone confirm individually in posts here each week. You can still post if you prefer, but we'll have another source of information to pull from to know whether we'll need to pug any key roles in advance etc.

We obviously want to include everyone who wants to come along, so let me know if I've somehow managed to miss you! 🙂

Excellent first week guys! Great to see 3 mythic groups running and hopefully it has helped some of those slightly behind in gearing to catch up for raiding next week.

If we can get those numbers next week to kick off the raid it'll be great. Ahead of that evening it would be good if people could have a quick look at the early encounters. If you're short on time the dungeon journal would be sufficient but wowhead/fatboss/icyveins all have guides/videos to help. As with last night, your gear doesn't matter. A mix of heroic and a bit of mythic gear would be fine and there are now enough people in maxed out mythic gear that if you're slightly behind it can be covered.

The plan will be to push as deep into Uldir as possible 20:00 to 22:00UK.

Edited by Kryton

32 minutes ago, Sharp said:

Ya. Clear normal next week and then into heroic the week after.

But I heard the first three bosses on Heroic are easier than the last two on Normal…

Everyone who turned up to mythics yesterday has been bumped up to raider rank (plus other-Welsper for now, since I don't yet know who he's planning to raid on) for ease of mass invites on Thursday, if I've missed anyone that plans to come along, let me know and I'll bump you up too, likewise if you aren't thinking about joining us for raids and want to stay casual, just let me know!

What this means for anyone interesting in raiding:

• Mass invites on Thursdays, if you're on an alt or don't want to raid you won't get caught in the big mass invite (especially if you run an auto accept mod).
  • You'll get calendar invite notifications for each Thursday event, where you can give us a heads up whether you're likely to be around over the upcoming few weeks or not. This isn't a requirement, just a handy tool to help us gauge attendance (especially for tanks and healers), also knowing whether we're likely to have a high turnout or not will help us to know how many healers etc we might be looking to need etc.
  • Permissions and gold cap for repairs remain the same for both ranks, so don't feel like you're missing out on anything if you aren't raiding - it's just an administrative difference.

As for my raiding character, i intend to keep it like legion: Welsper for the raids, and Sperra (or my dk) for m+. Should we (as it happened every now and then in legion) face issues with "welsper got oneshot again", i will of course switch. Warriors still have the lowest sta/hp multiplier afterall, amongst, many, many other issues.

26 minutes ago, Welsper said:

Warriors still have the lowest sta/hp multiplier afterall, amongst, many, many other issues.

Don't call yourself an issue Welsp, you're a real person!

31 minutes ago, Dave said:

And for reference since people seem to find this challenging:

I am maining healing this expansion

On that end then, I'm not a fan of druid dps specs, so are we likely to need another healer? (I'll keep her geared as I can of course if I swap back, as I enjoy healing)

It just want to know who to do the content on, and who to just play enough to keep up.

Edited by Buachalla

At the moment we have Todd and Dave only. If numbers keep up we'll need a third healer for raiding (or third mythic group) so I would say yes at the moment.

I think I might just park her as instance only (unless I need to do things on her), and do other content on my hunter. I would prefer to come on my hunter to things, as always, but I would also rather get things going than not!

Uldir Bosses

Useful information for Uldir, including the Fatboss video, dungeon journal abilities/overview/loot for each boss: 

https://www.wowhead.com/uldir-raid-boss-abilities-battle-for-azeroth

There are 8 bosses:

• Taloc the Corrupted - the one with blood, everywhere...
  • MOTHER - the one with the chambers (that have fire, wind and shiny purple beams)
  • Fetid Devourer - the one with the three heads (and an appetite for eggs)
  • Zek'voz, Herald of N'zoth - the one with the titan discs and an affinity for the Old Gods
  • Vectis - the one with the permanently jumping debuff and the exploding circles
  • Zul, Reborn - the one with the pools of darkness, the really big pools of blood... and those adds that instantly die to Arcane Torrent /flex
  • Mythrax the Unraveler - the one with all the anti-annihilation fragments and the charm orbs
  • G'huun - the one with the power matrix ball game to charge up the Reorigination Drive

I'd recommend having a look at the first few in advance of the raid next week.

Consumables

Not a requirement for our casual casual BoT raids, but if you want to pick stuff up to help out, feel free to.

• Flasks currently cost a lot at the moment (>2k) due to their usage of the Anchor Weed herbs (>600g per), so it's probably worth waiting until the prices settle a bit.
  • Potions are also quite expensive atm at around >300g for most pots and >500g for Rising Death (the one I'd want), so again, probably worth waiting for prices to settle down.
  • Stat food (41/55 in a stat) isn't too expensive right now (10-50g), I can probably make a bunch for the raid if we don't end up using feasts yet.
  • Feasts (75/100 in a stat) are a little more expensive to throw together, although I may start trying to farm mats for the larger feast for raids if it looks to be beneficial to do so.
  • Battle-Scarred Augment Runes (60 in a stat) at >400g each, but will last an hour, so possibly more justifiable than buying pots right now if you want a bit more of a boost.

I'll update prices closer to the raid as they'll probably change a bit, although things may also be in high demand in the first week of a new raid, so they may not budge much.

4 hours ago, Buachalla said:

On that end then, I'm not a fan of druid dps specs, so are we likely to need another healer? (I'll keep her geared as I can of course if I swap back, as I enjoy healing)

For certain bosses you may need 3 healers even for 10 people. Better for you heal instead of relying on me. I can just dps on the days that I attend.