Sign in to follow this  
Kryton

Gloomhaven

I'd like to start this thread by saying that if you aren't @Nacey, @Fyria or @Myrrh this thread may not be of much interest to you but it's going to be easier to organise on the forum than anywhere else.

My KS copy of Gloomhaven has arrived and after a bit of surgery on a component and a few hours sleeving, all 10kg of it is ready to play.

What is Gloomhaven?

Gloomhaven is a cooperative dungeon crawler with some interesting party management and legacy features. We will each play a mercenary selected from the initial 6 classes who is driven to adventure in Gloomhaven for a particular reason that is unknown from the others. As we complete dungeons, gain exp & loot, we will unlock new abilities and classes to play. Gloomhaven will change and develop as we do which is the legacy element.

A game will last around 2-3 hours with about 30 minutes to go to town (if we want to) before moving to the next location and it would be good to play a few games each session if possible.

Starting classes

We will have 4/6 of these classes in our initial party so we need to decide who would like to play who. My only stipulation is that I already play Tinkerer in a friends copy so I'd want to avoid that but we don't have to have one at all so there is no problem there.

Spellweaver - Very squishy mage. Big aoe combo potential but can we weak at other times. Perfectly possible for her to be 1 shot by a half decent mob.

Cragheart - Very versatile class with average health and a mix of options. Arguably weak at low level as doesn't excel at anything but has some nice skills.

Brute - Melee tank that can deal some serious damage with the right cards.

Tinkerer - Support class and healer. Hard to gain exp with initially but can outlast every other character.

Scoundrel - Rogue. It's a rogue. Works well paired up with another melee class.

Mindthief - Mostly melee character with buffs/debuffs and things like mind control etc.

It would be helpful if we discussed who to play before the session so I can prep decks slightly but it isn't a huge thing.

How to play

There are two how to play videos below (one for a dungeon and one for the campaign). As they only use the first scenario and starting classes there are no spoilers. They do a great job at explaining how the card decks work for taking your turn and the unique way the game avoids the coop problem of an experienced player making everyone's decisions for them.

Gaming sessions

So assuming you're all still interested in playing. When and where works for you? I'm happy to come into London to play but it is quite a heavy game to move around so ideally I'd prefer to either host or we meet somewhere I can drive to.

Edited by Kryton

Rough order of preference (the game designer describes the classes here if anyone wants a short spoiler-free summary in addition to Mark's):
Mindthief
Tinkerer
Cragheart
Spellweaver
Scoundrel
Brute

Available dates (based on calendar but Sarah will need to double check in case I've forgotten something):
Sun 3rd Dec
Sun 10th Dec
After that we're quite busy with family stuff due to Christmas until new year. But then most weekends are free right now so if we can agree a couple we should be able to keep them that way. Only things we have currently are QPR games on the following Saturdays: 20th Jan, 3rd Feb, 17th Feb, 24th Feb.

We can usually get to you okay as long as trains are running on Sundays, and driving is also an option if Sarah wants to.

We're also happy to host, it's about ~45mins from yours and motorway most of the way (M1 -> M25 -> M11 -> A12).

Can always mix it up a bit as to where we play if it makes sense.

From a quick poke through the videos, I'm super excited to try this out!!

I've usually enjoyed either spell casters or support/healers in most games, so would probably opt for the Spellweaver (pew pew!) as first choice and the Tinkerer as a second choice, after this, I tend to prefer ranged over heavy-melee options (especially tanks) as I don't tend to find them as fun to play, but have been known to RP a rogue once or twice in the past. I can figure out a full priority listing at some point if that would be helpful.

Edited by Fyria

The card management and exhaustion mechanics alone make it a fantastic game. I've played several scenarios where someone has collapsed on entering the final room and the rest of us have been down to only a couple of turns when we win.

This game is flipping awesome. If you have a regular group of 4 and missed the kickstarter I recommend picking it up once its at retail. It is expensive but worth it as you get lots of components and replay value etc. We've played it most weeks since it arrived in our group and are still always happy to play more each week. There are just so many things about it that are so well done that keeps it interesting. Also Nik there are 10 scenarios on the tabletop simulator on steam so you could actually try it out for free (though it's obviously not the same as a real game with real people and wont have the campaign legacy progression stuff or unlock new characters but would give a good feel)

Is it going to be less than the £250 it is currently?
It sounds like it could be a good alternative for a break when we get to the end of our current D&D campaign

i dont know where you're seeing it for £250 but i think that's because there's literally no copies available at retail so they hiked the price. Anywhere taking pre-orders for the actual release is at around £140.

Sorry! I can do Sunday 3rd but I'm flying away for two weeks on the 9th. Then it's Christmas and New Year but I'm free between the two if you guys are.

I need to collect my keyboard from Todd and Sarah, then lend them an MX Brown keyboard anyway.

I'll try to be available for 3rd then. Might need some negotiating.

I currently have nothing planned between Christmas and New Year.

I'm working as normal Wed-Fri and Sarah is working from home. The weekend (30th/31st) looks free, no football and nothing else on our calendar at the moment.

Ld9YUUYl.jpg

Pandemic board for scale. Can also move it out from the wall to fit more chairs around it but I think we're only doing four people anyway.

I'll try to grab you guys online in the next couple of days but I can do 3rd so we just need to decide on venue. I can't even remember where Dave is for planning :P

I'm in East Herts, and can reasonably get to both yours via car or Todd's via train, so whatever works for you guys.

That's fine for us, trains are frequent enough in both directions and run much later than we'd be heading back anyway. Are you able to pick us up from Hemel station? Or @Myrrh if he's driving anywhere near it?