Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Election Means Election Chat

1 hour ago, Brynneth said:

Seems like a fair summation. Note that unless you're earning over 80k it's only the LDs who have actually put increased income tax in the manifesto.

I can live with a 1p in the pound rise from the LD. I just don't want the Labour increases.

Historically I've voted tory since generally their policies have suited me, but there are just too many things they've done recently and are proposing to that I dont fundamentally agree with.

The issue I have is the labour manifesto is bollocks and involves a magic money tree and giving free stuff to basically everyone including people that dont need it just to try to buy votes (yes this is just politics but still). Also given Corbyn cant even get his own party to agree with him how he would lead the country is beyond me.

I was close to voting lib dem but I dont agree with most of their policies and the local lib dem person is new and they also sent me at least 10 items of post and phoned my mobile (how they got the number I dont know) which genuinely pissed me off. Also given one of my main gripes with labour is not being able to lead enough people to do anything significant a lib dem vote would be even worse.

So basically I'm about 90% sure I'm voting labour if I make it to the polling station but might just spoil the ballot paper since I think they're all totally clueless right now. I guess thats technically true every year but it really feels this year that I dont even 30% agree with any party.

Edited by Mokajin

Announcement she is stepping down on Monday, with something like 2 months given for conservative party election. New general election in the winter.

I'd normally say her life is now measured in hours not days but she's so bloody stubborn that unless someone pops round to number 10 with a crowbar and a new set of locks I think it's going to take them until at least Monday to shift her.

Current rumours are the DUPs price was a guarantee of a soft border with RoI, which may in practical terms mean retaining freedom of movement (and probably single market, because you may as well at that point).

3 hours ago, Largi said:

So a Minority Government with support from the DUP.... interesting result...

Coalition of Chaos!

Almost bought one but then remembered it's best to think of the practical joke before buying the prop.

Anyone that supports that is an enemy of the people and so voting for a party that advocates it is an attack on democracy. 

So the majority of the party wants to remain but in the run up to the election the perceived attitude within the country was that the decision had been made, this was especially true in the fact of the almost united pro-brexit press.

So we went for a slightly softer second referendum on the deal. We all know the deal will be a piece of shit so the second referendum is very likely to return a remain vote in the face of the preceding two years of the economy going down the drain. This had the added bonus, if polls hadn't gone so strongly against the idea of deals, of being something we could probably have forced as a concession in negotiations, where a straight cancelling of the process wasn't going to fly with either major party.

The intention to remain hasn't changed, just the political necessity to go about it in a more roundabout way.

As much as I am mostly remain the whole concept of a second referendum just doesnt work in my mind and is completely flawed. The trouble is that if you say to Europe "tell us your terms and we'll decide if we leave" Europe says "our terms are you owe us 5000 trillion pounds and there will be no trade deals" and we go "well thats crap lets not leave then". As much as I appreciate the sentiment I don't see how it works in this situation at all.

When filing for divorce you wouldn't say to your wife "I'm thinking about a divorce, can we go through the costly process of getting lawyers in and deciding how we would split it, and then if the terms aren't appropriate i'll change my mind and suggest we stick together and give it another try".

No. But if someone said when you divorce that if you can't decide how to split up the wealth you both lose it all and live on the street and the state takes it all. You may decide to not divorce.