Brynneth

BoTMeet 2017 - 10 years of BoT: Oxford, Fri 01 Sep - Sun 03 Sep

I can tell already that I'm going to sincerely fucking regret saying this, but here we go: There seems to be plenty of people who would like a proper summer BoTMeet this year and so I hereby volunteer to be the official Cat-herder for 2017. Plus since it's been the 10th birthday of the guild this year it'd be a shame not to do something. 

This will be the general discussion thread for planning and shit. I'm going to set a date before we choose a location since as a group we're increasingly bound by time over finances. Please feel free to discuss any dates which you can definitely not or can definitely only do; I'm going to put up a thread in a couple of days with a vote for the best dates and choose something probably based on that. 

Unavailable dates:

July 28-30 - Lei, work; Hut(?)

Aug 18-20 - Lei, work.

Aug 25-27 - Nik, work.

Edited by Brynneth

I think that Tom/Simon/Chris/Sharp(?) will be likely busy the last 2 weekends of July (21st-30th) and Tom's also mentioned him and Maz being away early August too. This confirmed yet?

I am annoyingly going to have to sit on the "I'll have to wait and see if this lines up with me" bus. I have a lot happening this Summer. Glad someone is picking this up though!

The discussions at BoTage were showing preference to August as Lei, Sarah and I all turn 30 during August and would like to see you for our Birthday. 
If BoTMeet is not then we are likely to arrange something in the south (London/MK way) since that is where we are/Lei's home is.

That's fine, if we don't have lots of strong objection to August then maybe that can be where I aim to work around.

I'm entirely flexible either way as I have literally nothing booked beyond a midweek date in June.

Does I61 have a confirmed date? Any major Weeb conventions?

Working the last weekend in July, and then the 19/20 August. Will have a look at other possible dates later. If we want the weather, then it can stay good up till mid-October quite often.

I am here to contribute the following:

1 hour ago, Brynneth said:

I can tell already that I'm going to sincerely fucking regret saying this,

You fool!

If Tom/Maz are away early August (tbc), and people are working late August, and there isn't any particular reason why we need to do it in August (with the exception of doing a thing for those of us hitting 30 this summer), we should strongly consider September/October options because places will be less busy/expensive after the schools are back, as Lei also points out, weather tends to keep for a month or two after August anyway (if people are eyeing up anything outdoorsy). I'm fairly happy to do a September or whatever thing like last year, even if it is the month after.

I know I suggested it, but I'm possibly going to be away sometime in the first two weeks in Oct.

Realistically, my 3-day weekend is fine anytime really. It's easy enough for me to pay the travel and accom. separately. So say, 22nd/23rd July, then every 3 weeks from then.

Another thought. Hopefully will be at Distant Worlds in London on the 4th of Nov, so there's potential for that weekend in/near London if people don't mind it being later in the year.

November's probably a bit late in the year. Having 9 hours of daylight does restrict the amount of interesting things we could do. Aug 11-13 looks like a possible early leader.

I mean... we've done these so many times now you'd realise all it is is an excuse to drink, eat some nice food and play board games with pretenses at an activity that maybe takes an hour or so.

If it's August or later then there is football. As in the past (e.g. this weekend) I don't mind missing one game if there is a decent-sized meet up happening but I may choose not to skip the first home game of the season which is either August 5th or August 11th (most likely a Saturday but could be Friday evening or Sunday if we're on TV) and I won't know which until the fixtures are released June 21st. I appreciate that isn't very helpful so I don't expect it to be planned around that as such but just pointing it out. If we're meeting in/around London then I'll show up for the rest of the time where possible.

Those dates also apply to Sarah though her prioritisation may be different to mine, haven't asked her.

October 26th / 27th (Thu/Fri) is an Android conference in London which, last I heard, Mike is coming to. So he might be around that weekend, not sure, and it's not absolutely confirmed that he's coming at all. So this could just be a separate thing but there's a chance for a meet around then if anyone wants to see Mike.

Assume they do, especially for the first game, it would be nice to catch that atmosphere. That said if there's a full BoTMeet weekend planned with things on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, then it may well just be the case that we dodge out for a few hours one afternoon. If we're talking as early as July, I'm likely to be away for the first two weekends for a conference and then for a course in Cambridge and would like to have some free time after that to catch up with washing/housework/etc, so general preference is away from July and early August and more towards September/October if end of August isn't an option.

Edited by Fyria

Currently Japan trip is 4-25th august or some such, but we haven't booked flights yet and still not entirely sure we're going so probably best to just plan stuff and we'll come if we can.

I imagine this is earlier than we're talking but can't do 10th/11th June unless it's in London (have to feed a cat).

1 hour ago, Mokajin said:

Unless I accidentally book a holiday to Australia I can make any date at the moment

What if you already did but forgot? :P

10th June and 11-13 August are now booked for my local LARP too and I might be crewing it too. As expected, it's going to be impossible to find a date which more than 80% of people can make, will just have to make a best attempt when poll results are in.

Hmm, 11-13 Aug would be my perfect weekend.

With Distant World's now confirmed, I'd obviously prefer it less close to then if it's anywhere with a lot of traveling for me. 

Sept: Weekends of the 2nd and 23rd are best for me.

Oct: Is a bit up in the air for me atm.

Edited by Buachalla

Date vote thread is up. 1st weekend of September might be a surprisingly good candidate based on what's been in this thread so far. Please poke people who will probably come but don't post on forum much.