Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Rocket League

I think JD has it and maybe a couple of others. Not sure how often he checks the forum though so you may need to poke him through steam.

I was waiting for it to be on more of a sale so dont have it otherwise would be interested (but likely actually somehow never end up on at the same time like with all the other games)

I've watched some people play it on stream, not sure it appeals to me that much. Does look good however.

Also UE3 representing. 90% of why I'm even bothering to post this reply.

Yea, it holds the clock if the ball is midair, the next time it impacts the floor it blows up.

It's almost like I literally wrote that in the name of the video but, umm, thanks?

Sorry, watched on my phone where the video name showed as Rocket League - 

Rocket League tips for the newcomers:

* The game is perfectly playable on a keyboard but there are a few minor reasons to use a gamepad: analog acceleration and turning helps with precision movement and the fact that accelerate is not the same button as forward flip. If you have a 360 pad (or some equivalent-buttoned thing) this is perfect.

* The default controls (for gamepad) are hot garbage because they put three actions on the face buttons that you may need to press all at once, and specifically they place Jump and Boost side-by-side on A/B which makes them particularly hard to combine. I recommend the following though you're welcome to play around or adjust to taste:

LT: Brake

RT: Accelerate

LB: Handbrake/Roll

RB: Boost

A: Jump

X: Switch camera

Y: Look behind

RS/Select: Scoreboard

At the very least move Boost to a bumper or possibly move Roll to a bumper and Boost to X. You need to be able to Jump and Boost at the same time and later on you'll need Roll as well. Find a comfortable setup that works for you.

* Play through the tutorial, and I'd also recommend giving the three Rookie training modes a play through. You don't have to spend hours on them, just do each one once so you get a feel for the car physics, how the ball bounces, how high you can jump, etc. After that make a bot game with Rookie bots. The standard online mode is 3v3 but you can start with 2v2 bots to make it a bit less manic if you want.

* Set the FOV and camera distance to max and adjust down from there if you dislike it.

* Goalkeeping: If you start in the back-most position (if you're not sure: if you can't see two other teammates you're not at the back) don't charge the ball, stay back and mop up if it runs loose towards your goal. Learning when to go forward and when to stay back is something that comes with practise but the general idea is that you rotate. If you make a play for a ball and miss it, loop around and head back as your other team mates are probably following up behind you and you don't want to leave the goal undefended. This is helped by playing on voice chat rather than with pubbies.

* If the ball goes into the corner and there is already a car from your team going for it, don't follow them. Wait around the middle of the opposition half so you can follow in on a cross if it comes across or back away to defend if it gets cleared.

* Don't chase high balls up the wall (not until you learn to aerial from walls, but don't worry about that). Generally the ball will bounce away from the walls and you'll just drive under/past it. You'll learn how this works with practise.

* Snow Day (basically ice hockey instead of football) is a really fun mode but it's totally different to regular play because the puck doesn't bounce much and slides along the walls instead. Feel free to play it but don't neglect standard games or you'll find the ball physics really weird when you switch back.

* Aerials (using Jump and then feathering Boost to hit a ball in mid air) are really damn hard but you should still try to do it when you can and don't be put off by missing a lot. I'm still terrible at this but I'm slowly getting there.

Todd and I played some last night. Really good run although I am terrible. Won our first 3v3 6-0 so strong start to the evening. I also appear to be able to score from our own half.

So many eejits in this game who just ball chase, score own goals and ram you out the way of defending...

I played a bunch of games yesterday to get up to level 10, really enjoyed it, found it hard to stop. As I don't have a controller for playing I'm on keyboard, but remapped a whole bunch of things to make it easier to play. For one,  I tend to use powerslide quite a bit to re-angle myself quickly or turn around quickly which is not something I knew about when I was playing at Todd's place (is there even a button mapped on your controller for that?), otherwise if people are interested, my keyboard binds are currently the usual wasd for turning/accelerator/reverse, lshift for powerslide, spacebar for jump, enter for boost and rshift for camera control toggle.

I did have a few games where people seemed to think that the right position was for goalkeeping since the back had two boosters, which was weird, seemed to fail miserably when I didn't realise this the first time I was back and only one person moved forward, only to succeed the second time I was back and I managed to score a goal directly from the kickoff. I think that only affected a couple of games however, but would have been nice if whoever was on right could have said/typed something to say that was the plan, especially if it wasn't the usual expectation. 

Ramming in lots of goals though, woo hat tricks!

I tend to use powerslide quite a bit to re-angle myself quickly or turn around quickly which is not something I knew about when I was playing at Todd's place (is there even a button mapped on your controller for that?)

When you were playing it was on X. Now I have it on LB as in the list above. It's very useful for turning quickly so this is a good tip that I forgot about.

Another couple of things that I forgot:

Double jump forwards (i.e. the fastest front flip possible) acts as a speed boost so if you're going long distances use this instead of (or as well as) burning boost.

Once you make a sonic boom you are at max speed so you can stop boosting and just feather it to maintain that speed otherwise you're just wasting it.

So many eejits in this game who just ball chase, score own goals and ram you out the way of defending...

This is an unfortunate problem with pubbies that you can solve by playing with us :D .

Yeah, with powerslide I tend to hover my pinky over it at all times as I probably use it for most of my turn control. Actually makes controlling the car around the ball much easier, so a good equivalent on a controller would probably be a back button, yeah.

Well I spent yesterday afternoon/evening playing solo, you do get some retarded defenders that do that sort of thing, we were up 6-0 one game ourselves and then one of the other guys on my team scored an own goal putting it on 6-1, was pretty funny that the other team needed help from us to score apparently. It happens.

That happens.

Note the time of the post

Basically JD, Ian, Myself and Alex played 2v2 and then looked up and realised the night had vanished

Edited by Largi

A sorry it was pretty late when we started (past midnight i think) and sort of figured you either weren't around by that time or that you might see we were playing it via steam notifications.

That happens.

Note the time of the post

Basically JD, Ian, Myself and Alex played 2v2 and then looked up and realised the night had vanished

That happened to me on Thursday night, it was 2am before I realised I was still on it.

...and then it was a little later before I could detach myself.

Edited by Fyria

A sorry it was pretty late when we started (past midnight i think) and sort of figured you either weren't around by that time or that you might see we were playing it via steam notifications.

No worries, I wasn't paying attention to Steam either. This is a good reminder that I should drop in on the LoL channel sometimes anyway :) .

No worries, I wasn't paying attention to Steam either. This is a good reminder that I should drop in on the LoL channel sometimes anyway :) .

^_^;; I'm often idling in there when not playing anyway