Sign in to follow this  
Remma

Phone has probably died, any suggestions for a new one

Yeah, my Nexus 5, which I bought day 1 (and thus out of warranty I think), has probably died. It was having trouble with the power button, acting as if it was constantly depressed and turning itself almost instantly. Now it is at a stage where it will just constantly crash/boot cycle and doesn't seem to be storing charge as far as I can tell.

I am gonna see if I can get it checked over, but likely it is dead. Therefore, any suggestions for a new phone?

As much as I liked the Nexus 5, it was probably a bit overkill for me. I only really used it for web browsing (the screen size/clarity was nice for that) and podcast listening, simple stuff like that.

I was considering one of the Moto G generations, because as far as I can tell, they are the cheaper/mid-range versions of the Nexus 5, is that correct? If I buy a low internal memory one and just buy a micro SD, is there a significant downside to that at all, are apps generally happy to run off/save to microSD cards?

I want to stick with stock android as I am not fond of hacking my phone and altering it.

If anyone has any decent second hand phones that are stock android, and would be painless for me to use/in good nick, I would consider buying it.

Yeah, my Nexus 5, which I bought day 1 (and thus out of warranty I think), has probably died. It was having trouble with the power button, acting as if it was constantly depressed and turning itself almost instantly. Now it is at a stage where it will just constantly crash/boot cycle and doesn't seem to be storing charge as far as I can tell.

I know this sounds ridiculous but this is a known problem with the N5 and you can fix it by hitting it. You can try it against your hand but it can take something more solid like a desk/table, just put a towel or something on it first as your goal is not to smash it. You want to hit the side of the phone against the edge of the desk to make contact just below the power button. Do it as hard as possible without feeling like you're going to break it.

It will most likely come back after a few weeks so don't get attached but this might at least get you a working phone for now.

Moto G 2015 is fine but get the 16GB version as the 8GB only has 1GB RAM which is a bit crappy. Nexus 5X is great but probably outside of your budget, Carphone Warehouse has them for £300. You might also consider the Wiley Fox Swift which has basically the same specs as the Moto G and runs Cyanogen (which generally means slower updates than Google/Motorola but it's still miles better than the Samsung/LG skins to actually use).

If a giant phone appeals to you, the Nexus 6 can be found for £250 which is a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realise the size of the internal memory also dictated the RAM size.

I tried the errm "physical therapy" on it, and despite some sparks of life, I cant get it to the home screen, and I have started to damage the casing as cracks are appearing around weak points like the sim port.

So I will just get a Moto G 3rd gen from Amazon. Luckily they are willing to give me a trial of prime again, so woot, free next day delivery, should hopefully see it tomorrow according to them.

This is all bloody annoying, since seeing Dangphat posting up upgrade stuff for his PC, I have been tempted to get a new CPU and Mobo. This might put me off a little, I will see.

Thanks again.

I tried the errm "physical therapy" on it, and despite some sparks of life, I cant get it to the home screen, and I have started to damage the casing as cracks are appearing around weak points like the sim port.

I'd be surprised if these weren't already already there. All N5s I've seen have hairline cracks around the buttons and port. The outer casing is garbage for some reason.

Anyway, yeah, sounds like it's time to replace it.

On the topic of phones. My ancient Samsung flip phone (like 2010 or something) is on it's last legs. I've been avoiding upgrading to one of those newfangled 'smart' phones due to inherent extra cost of data, but frankly most payg tariffs bundle data, which I am currently not using.

Mr Todd. I would like to buy a phone. Something not stupidly costly but also not terrible. Also probably android rather than windows (because iOS hahahahaha)

Edited by NATO

What price point? What is it for?

Also just ordered a moto g 16gb will arrive Monday, waterproof is the biggest selling point for me as I have previously destroyed 3 phones with water damage.

On the topic of phones. My ancient Samsung flip phone (like 2010 or something) is on it's last legs. I've been avoiding upgrading to one of those newfangled 'smart' phones due to inherent extra cost of data, but frankly most payg tariffs bundle data, which I am currently not using.

Mr Todd. I would like to buy a phone. Something not stupidly costly but also not terrible. Also probably android rather than windows (because iOS hahahahaha)

Same as for John basically. These are the phones I'd recommend at the moment, across various price points. Consider size as a factor as well.

Nexus 6P

Nexus 5X

Nexus 6

Moto G (3rd gen, 16GB only)

Wiley Fox Swift

The other Motorola phones are also good phones but hard to recommend over the 5X really.

My mother in law's lumia died and wants to buy a new phone. But not an iPhone (too expensive) and not a Windows Phone (too shit/annoying).

Leaves us with Android.. Anyone know a good one for a budget not exceeding €150 (£115-ish?)

There are no good phones for that much money but yeah probably that I guess since even the Wiley Fox Swift is outside of that budget.

Problem with Vodafone and moto, is that they can't be found here in Belgeland :(

In the end she went with an Acer Liquid Z530. Seems te be a pretty good and respondive device so far.

Thanks for the adviced, though!

Nothing here. I'm on the even-older £15 version but I can't imagine that will survive if the £17 is going.

Looks like their website is getting DDoSed currently.

Nothing here. I'm on the even-older £15 version but I can't imagine that will survive if the £17 is going.

Looks like their website is getting DDoSed currently.

Also on the £15, wondering if thats why...