Sign in to follow this  
Fyria

Secret Santa 2014 - Sign up!

Bottle or Tree - Secret Santa 2014

WNf1LJy.jpg

It's that time of year where we send each other silly things and dress our pets up as Christmas trees... or something.

So anyway, who's up for doing this again this year? If there's enough interest I'll post up all the details here and set up an Elfster group.

I'm using Elfster for the Gift Exchange again as not only does it allow direct anonymous communication as well as completely anonymous drawing, it will also exempt any match-ups from the previous year, making sure that you won't have the same person again. PM me if you are unwilling to do international postage (if applicable) so that I can add exemptions.

If you want to be involved in the secret santa for this year and are not already in the Elfster Bottle or Tree gift exchange group, PM me your full name and email address and I'll get you added.

If people want to be jointly registered to send/receive stuff as a couple, then only one person needs to be registered on the list, and your secret santa can be notified/you can state on the forums that you would like it to be a joint gift. I don't know if that would necessarily apply to anyone, but I know the option has been there in the past so I wouldn't want to remove it. I am obviously going to make exceptions for couples to ensure they don't get each other!

ELFSTER LINKS
Secret Santa 2014: http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/12290016/7d9b46/ (This is the one you need to sign up for if you want to participate this year)
BoT Group: http://www.elfster.com/group/view/9324248/53df91/ (Because we may end up using it for multiple years, you can sign up even if you don't want to participate this year)

Participants: Gaz, Maz, Nik, Sarah, Sam, Sharp, Todd, Tom C, Tom R. 
Current deadline: 25th December.

LAST RECOMMENDED POSTING DATES (2014)
18/12 - 2nd Class and Royal Mail Signed For™
20/12 - 1st Class and Royal Mail Signed For™
23/12 - Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed™
(http://www.royalmail.com/greetings) Edited by Fyria

Well I think that's enough to justify doing this, I'll update my initial post tomorrow and we can get the ball rolling!

Stealing mostly other people's ideas, I like...

Spicy Food / anything Mexican
Chocolate
Warhams 40k
Pretty much anything Sci-fi
Obscure Progressive Rock/Metal
Literature - Have a vague goal of reading the 20th century "classics" but then the section of my shelf containing my William Gibson, Hunter S. Thompson, Kurt Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman and Illuminatus! books needs massively expanding.

Pretty sure I'm booking face with everyone, so feel free to PM my better half Sophie if you think of something and want to check if it's something I already have or w/e.

Or just fuck it, do what any good discordian would do and get something completely fucking random.

No great changes to this list needed.

Still no great changes to this list needed. If anyone gives a monkeys, my Amazon list

No books (I have enough already) and no gimmicky stuff (thinkgeek-type stuff, it looks fun but you never actually use it). Anything else is fair game. If you need some vague themes here are some things that I do/like: guitar, football, Android, music, Glastonbury, card/boardgames.

Pretty much this again.

Am I correct in thinking that Amazon gift-wrapped items now have the sender's address on the "receipt" that they include? I seem to remember someone talking about this at BoTMeet.

No books (I have enough already) and no gimmicky stuff (thinkgeek-type stuff, it looks fun but you never actually use it). Anything else is fair game. If you need some vague themes here are some things that I do/like: guitar, football, Android, music, Glastonbury, card/boardgames.

Pretty much this again.

Am I correct in thinking that Amazon gift-wrapped items now have the sender's address on the "receipt" that they include? I seem to remember someone talking about this at BoTMeet.

Yes they do, so I advise people agree to not look and throw them out

I found a thread on their forums complaining that it was anonymous, people were doing weird stalkery things like someone kept receiving kitchen knives from an unknown origin and Amazon refused to say who they were from because "privacy".

Then why is it not a privacy issue to put the senders address on it now? Is it because the sender "agrees" to do it? In that case, why can't they just "agree" to allow their details to be given out upon request instead?

The other option, if you don't mind paying double postage is to resend out stuff from Amazon yourself, thus avoiding anything silly that they put on it.

Edit: I'll probably revise my list a little when I have some time to go through it, also I now have an amazon list which might be of use and a lego spreadsheet for some of the themed sets (making it easier for family/sharp/whomever to know what kinds of things I'm after/would like if they get stumped) which might be handy.

Edited by Fyria

I've checked a few threads and some people say that it's anonymous when you send as "gift", some say it's not. Some people say that they've sent two packages and had one of each, so I think that the system's just fucked and that you may or may not have that happen. 

If you genuinely want the santa to be secret when using Amazon, just ship to yourself and re-package and re-send. It costs what? 3-4 quid to post a sensibly sized/weighted parcel?

Edit: As to Sarah saying about double postage, remember that Amazon regular slow postage is free for orders over £10 anyway. 

Edited by Brynneth

Yeah, "potentially" double, that wasn't really the point I was emphasising anyway. :P

Other advantages of repackaging things yourself is that you can ensure things are in some form of wrapping paper etc.

Edit: As to Sarah saying about double postage, remember that Amazon regular slow postage is free for orders over £10 anyway.

This makes it worse since it literally costs infinitely more money to resend it if the original postage would have been free :P .

Other advantages of repackaging things yourself is that you can ensure things are in some form of wrapping paper etc.

If you're super-lazy Amazon will do this for you! It's kind of expensive but compared to the time and cost of re-posting it can work out okay.

This makes it worse since it literally costs infinitely more money to resend it if the original postage would have been free :P

This is true! Although you can't necessarily imply that would be "worse". :P

Bump, just over 10 days to go if you want to be involved. So far we have Gaz, Maz, Sarah, Sharp, Todd and Tom R. If you're wanting to participate, feel free to sign up/accept invitations!

Drawn! Everyone should have received an email to let them know who they have drawn. To whomever got me, I'll try to make a post tomorrow on what kinds of things I currently want.

Might be time I actually made an updated list, as I've used the other one for the last 3 years...
Though it's still pretty valid, I'd add that I've recently gotten entangled in Games Workshop stuff, so something small from there (as I know it's expensive) would be great too. :)
Primarily I have Wood Elf related stuff, but likely to be happy with anything that looks cool.  :thumbsup:
(I'm kind of hoping someone* might get me a Mortis Engine or some Ushabti Tomb Guard (Because Nasus, Renekton & Azir?), so Undead / Vampire stuff would be fine too.)

Otherwise, T-shirts (Medium is probably safest?) posh dice (because you can't have too many D10s when playing Scion) and well, anything on the existing list below is perfectly acceptable.

:metal:

Ok, so a list of possible suggestiony type things is in order.
Secret Santa, you should know that

I Like:
Knee high socks - the more coloured stripes the better. Avoid pink.
Foxes / Border Collies / Dragons. Ornaments relating to any of these.
Arty books- game/movie concept art, gothic architechture, art nouveau, collected comics / graphic novels.
Rock / Metal CDs - I do have quite a lot of these, but anything released in the last 3 years is probably a safe bet.
Art supplies- acrylic paints or coloured drawing inks are best.

I Dislike:
Pink.
Bubble bath.
Food.

This is still relevant.

Oh and I have an Amazon listy thing. Just in case.

* Please note, this is someone else, not specifically a request to Secret Santa, as I know these things are both over the £10-£15 budget.  :)

Last year a few people sent presents via me for the Scottish lot, if anyone wants to do the same I'm happy to make anonymous deliveries to avoid return addresses or postmark related issues.