Sign in to follow this  
Fyria

Secret Santa (reprise)

Bottle or Tree - Secret Santa?

dnGCTpF.jpg

So it's that time of year again and whilst I sort out some of my Christmas presents for family and friends I realise that no one has mentioned doing one for BoT this year yet.

Is there interest? If enough people want to do it, I'm game to organise it. If enough people register their interest here, the usual rules would apply, PM me your addresses and whether you would be willing or not to do international postage.

Wait to see if there is interest first before forwarding me on your details, I know I would be game for doing something this year.

UPDATE:- If you want to be involved in the secret santa for this year, I will need your full name and email address (and any conditions such as no-international-postage etc) in a PM and I will add you to the Elfster Bottle or Tree gift exchange group for this year. Current deadline: 15th November.

If people want to be jointly registered to send/receive stuff as a couple, then only one person needs to be registered on the list, and your secret santa can be notified/you can state on the forums that you would like it to be a joint gift. I don't know if that would necessarily apply to anyone, but I know the option has been there in the past so I wouldn't want to remove it.

ELFSTER LINKS
Secret Santa 2013: http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/9324249/2a6b61/ (This is the one you need to sign up for if you want to participate this year)
BoT Group: http://www.elfster.com/group/view/9324248/53df91/ (Because we may end up using it for multiple years, you can sign up even if you don't want to participate this year)

Participants: Dave, Gaz, Lei, Maz, Nik, Sam, Sarah, Sharp, Todd, Tom C, Tom R. 

LAST RECOMMENDED POSTING DATES (2013)
18/12 - 2nd Class and Royal Mail Signed For™
20/12 - 1st Class and Royal Mail Signed For™
23/12 - Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed™

(http://www.royalmail.com/greetings)

Edited by Fyria

Yup, I'm in.

Thanks for stepping up, good to have a different person run it each year.

Yeah, it's good to rotate it around a bit as it means that the same person doesn't get the mystery of their Santa taken away from them on a continuous basis. I haven't run it yet, so I figured I'd opt in for this year.

I know Iso has a point, but by the time interest has been registered and names have been throw into a hat* and redistributed, it would be nice to have a good month or so to get things together and beat out the Christmas post. So around now seemed about right (late October). :P

Also, bottle tree... I couldn't resist.

*by hat, I mean probably a python script or something as it's less effort.

Edited by Fyria

I agree that it's good to start organising. I spammed it out with email notifications on G+ (yes, actually most people are on there even if they don't use it regularly) so hopefully that'll get people to look.

Yeah, I saw the G+ invitations, thanks Todd.

Also I would think that £10-15 is a good general range to stick to, or £12.50 (± £2.50) if you want to be pedantic. I think that would seem fair and I doubt people would manage £10 on the dot anyway. As long as it's roughly around that price anyway, I doubt most people will really notice/care.

Mark has suggested using Elfster, and having had a look at it it does offer restrictions etc so that people who cant afford international postage can have exemptions (and I can add exemptions anyway to any couples). This way the system will email people out details of their selected person on a specified date and I can avoid knowing my own personal secret santa (which would be nice).

All I need is the first/last name and email of anyone interested (pm me) and I can send you an invite to the list. Then you guys can hopefully update your own addresses etc from there. You'll still need to let me know any restrictions as I'll need to set them up. Since there are a few people interested at the moment I'm going to go ahead and get the list started with a current signup deadline of the 8th November (which can be shifted if people want).

May as well give it a trial run this year.

Edited by Fyria

Another nice perk that I've just noticed is that you can send anonymous messages to people you draw through the system, so clarifications don't need to be made through me.

Also, on that note, feel free to upload lists/link to old lists of stuff you'd be interested in here. Forgot to mention that!

Sounds like all the works done for you then...

I hadn't even thought of this - given I never take part in gift exchanging, i'd have been happy to run it again, but I guess its all sorted!

Okay, since I've not received many PMs from people who said they were going to participate, I'm making this a step easier:

Sign-up links:

Secret Santa 2013: http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/9324249/2a6b61/  (This is the one you need to sign up for if you want to participate this year)

BoT Group: http://www.elfster.com/group/view/9324248/53df91/  (Because we may end up using it for multiple years, you can sign up even if you don't want to participate this year)

You can add wishlists and stuff on the site, so you don't have to re-list the stuff you want on the forums each year.

I feel like that website takes away some of the fun. Wish lists and secret questions basically remove all of the effort of having to find a fun thing that you think that person will like.

I'd at least use it as a way to assign people since that keeps mystery for the person organizing it.

I won't be adding a list to it as I'm too lazy anyway.

I'd at least use it as a way to assign people since that keeps mystery for the person organizing it.

It's good for this and avoiding matches that don't work for whatever reason.  According to an email that arrived this morning (thanks Sarah) I apparently have a wishlist on it that she can see but I knew nothing about.

Mostly using as a way to assign people, if they want to indicate ideas on a list they can but it's optional and listing things out here is just as valid. Also allows you to secretly send messages to your recipient if you want to query something in particular, without giving away who you are or doing it via another person. Basically treating it as a matching tool with a could of perks, it doesn't need to take away from anything we do anyway if we don't want it to.

It's good for this and avoiding matches that don't work for whatever reason.  According to an email that arrived this morning (thanks Sarah) I apparently have a wishlist on it that she can see but I knew nothing about.

I *could* see... doesn't mean I've been bothered to check. :P

You're secrets are still safe!

Basically this, I know Dan argues that the same holds if someone not participating does the allocation, but then there is still someone that knows who gave what to whom, even if it doesn't include them - they miss out on the fun of not knowing when people upload their random gifts onto the forums afterwards. :P

Edited by Fyria

Agreed on the wishlist thing. I keep an Amazon wishlist as a general point of practice but that's for sending to relatives around Xmas. Will have to dredge up my list of general likes from last year.

@Todd: Probably not without telling Sarah the allocations from last year\the year before, and given she was in those, that seems unwise, especially since that means she knows how much effort previous people have put in for her.

If I did it again, I could take them into account... (Not to be trying to steal this from Sarah, its less effort for me if I don't do it, but its effort i'd happily put in)

As a person on the outside, I actually like seeing who gave who what - I get an element of "I see what you did there". By running it, I get that without it being spoiled for anyone who prefers the mystery (like, presumably, everyone in the Secret Santa)