Sign in to follow this  
Largi

Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn

Wasn't bad but just never got into it in the same way. During times I'm not playing WoW as much I tend to move to non-mmo games rather than different ones.

The times the guild gets bored of WoW is the only way I get through my Steam list. Started playing CS:GO and restarted DX:HR to see if I can manage a non-lethal ghost playthrough on hard difficulty.

It feels like its gone the way of Rift already - were all at varying levels and even though there's the whole "we can start new classes to level together" that's somewhat difficult to do from lv1 because we've done different quests each - I've now done the start of all three cities due to levelling three classes which start in different places and wanting to be where the hunting log says for efficiency.

I had already realised that the main quest is the best XP route, though this somewhat makes sense given there needs to be encouragement to be at higher levels. It gives a somewhat skewed perspective of the catch up mechanic of gaining bonus XP based on difference with highest - that bonus feels slower than having the main quest line.

If I remember correctly (unless they changed it) you hit lvl 45-46 if you do all the quests and then you have to fate/dungeon grind to 50 as the main quest leaps from 45 to 50.

Hilariously I deleted my Moogle cat girl and rerolled the same character on Odin to play with people there because I didn't know anyone left on Moogle, it wasn't my original main character though, so not high enough level to care to keep her.

Yeah. I still have T-shirts from the gamescom raids too, they were fun to do. For context, it's probably the equivalent of a raid finder level of difficulty with some tuned down mechanics because they expect you to play with utter randoms most of the time and not necessarily know your abilities. I ended up playing a combination of Black and White Mage depending on who else was playing/what people wanted within the team of 8, was good fun, hoping to do it again next year if I get the chance.

Overall the combat isn't as good as WoW's, like it doesn't flow as well. All of the main abilities shared the same ~2.5s cooldown which means there's a lot of downtime of pressing nothing and it's not quite fast enoguh to be ryhtmic like WoW's GCD. There are also far too many abilities that I'm somehow expected to hotkey.

However, the graphics are nice, the world is cool, and I like the class system. The mixture of the main story, side quests, hunting log, and the ability to switch between different levels of content make for a game that's providing lots of things to do. The fact that the crafting system is interactive makes it a little slow but also makes it far more engaging than in most MMOs.

For the moment it's proving suitably entertaining when the alternative is running Raid Finder or normal PUGs in WoW. I don't intend to play it at endgame or anything, but the leveling and questing is keeping me interested.

It's a shame that Loz is on another server though. This always happens :( .

The 2.5 second cooldown makes tanking as a marauder really quite unpleasant and is jarring coming from wow. If I tank in wow and a DPS somehow pulls aggro, I can have the mob back within the second. Here I will often need to land 3 or 4 blows to regain aggro and in the ensuing 10 seconds, someone else has pulled aggro on something else.

I think this problem will go away as changing up to a warrior effectively gives me a tanking stance with more aggro but when healers are very regularly getting aggro on entire pulls, it can get frustrating. That said, it is nice to feel I am back to the "wait for 2 sunders" days as threat in wow is a non-entity now and that was much of the fun of tanking for me.

Edited by Kryton

Watashi wa Ninja desu~!

Except I seem to be unable to move an action from the page to my hotbar. The action that I'm meant to be using in my first lession, yay~~~! Have submitted bug report. Hopefully I can get it sorted!

No. Was able to move all but this one ability. Tried all sorts. Also noticed it doesn't show a level like everything else as well, so fairly sure it's bugged out somehow. Exiting the game and logging back in also didn't fix it.

OK, so I deleted all my settings  and still no go.

Decided, maybe I've 'learnt it', but need to 'learn it' during this first training thing.

So it turns out the 'Ninjustsu' ability changes depending on what 'hand movements' you use. Makes sense now, but I'm pretty sure it didn't that anywhere.

I've reached the next dungeon on the main quest (Brayflox's Longstop) and it isn't very far after Hauke's Manor. If anyone is around there I'll be on tonight to run it.

I'm at football tonight but Sarah will be at flat and may be interested, though she also said she has some work to do (students do work, apparently). Sarah is out tomorrow so I can catch up then.

O i was looking up grand company stuff. YOu only seem to be able to reach the first rank of lieutenant. Seems odd seeing as the ranks going all the wya to the top are already there.

I'm at football tonight but Sarah will be at flat and may be interested, though she also said she has some work to do (students do work, apparently). Sarah is out tomorrow so I can catch up then.

This is not true, I am at football tomorrow. So yeah, we can probably run this tonight. What's a good time for you, roughly?

Sarah left her conference thing a bit later than expected so isn't going to be here until at least 20:30, and then we need to eat, plus we're about eight quests behind, and also Danks is currently using the TV so we may not be able to both play anyway. So we'll see what happens.

Anyone tried much crafting in this?

I really like the concept but its so slow. 

The speed at which adventuring classes level seems quite quick. I assume the expansion came with a reduction in 1-50 but crafting classes feel like they are missing that.
Culinarian seemed to be a good first choice as its lvl 15 cross class skill seems amazing. However took me forever just to get that.

I am tempted just to level it through Ixal dailies and grand company hand ins.