Sign in to follow this  
Largi

Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn

Good stuff, we were doing a bit of savage tonight so couldn't help. I tend to do Deltascape v4 and a few expert roulettes per week to cap creation, so we can do that together.

Our BLM is also 70 so we'll probably get you two boosted through the extreme primals very soon. Maybe this weekend?

How are you finding PLD tanking? Our tank from WoW quit because he said it was "too boring". : (

Edited by Myrrh

I feel it has a lot of bloated abilities that are so situational that when the situation occurs I forget I have the ability (as I never use it).

In terms of what I do use, I have a rotation of 3 buttons for single target tanking plus 2 off-gcd that are either to be used on cd or on proc. Multi-target is worse though. I have 2 aoe abilities but only 1 of those generates additional threat. I then have a third aoe off gcd.

That's interesting. There is an emphasis in this game on damage from tanks and healers, so I guess you have to choose whether you need the extra threat or not.

WHM has a small but coherent and strong toolkit; there aren't many spells but they all fulfil a purpose and are good at it. The trade-off is that it's rather simple to play mechanically, so I'm slowly levelling a SCH.

7 hours ago, Kryton said:

I feel it has a lot of bloated abilities that are so situational that when the situation occurs I forget I have the ability (as I never use it).

I was skim reading the new posts and thought this was just you describing the game in general. That was certainly my impression of the three classes that I tried. You get like fifteen abilities that do very similar things and the optimal rotation only uses five of them but half a dozen of the other ones have some really specific usecase or interaction so you have to somehow keep them all on your bars. And actually figuring out the optimal rotation is basically impossible without Googling it and then you realise that it changes constantly while leveling anyway and give up trying.

3 hours ago, Myrrh said:

That's interesting. There is an emphasis in this game on damage from tanks and healers, so I guess you have to choose whether you need the extra threat or not.

Which is in itself bizarre as you have little to know way of knowing how you are performing in those areas. If I pull 3 mobs in a dungeon I tend to aoe a few times then go into single target mode (as it does more damage) whilst tabbing between them. If one of the mobs is taking more damage than the others I assume the dps are focusing it so I make sure I hit it a little more often but I don't really know if I am close to losing aggro until it happens. When I do lose aggro, it is total chaos as getting it back without losing something else can be an issue.

PLD is the tanks tank. They have more group kinda cooldowns and can take more hits as they can block too.

The recommendation is on three or less targets, it's Circle + Flash, then put your dot on all and just rotate through them. For more than three, you just spam Total Eclipse.

For bosses, do you aggro combo and a flash, and the swap to Sword Oath and the DPS combo.

Just now, Buachalla said:

And then there's Red Mages and it all goes to shit!

Whats wrong with doing 10k DPS in the first second of the pull? :D

Aggro is definitely more like vanilla/TBC WoW. Keeping it is an issue, and losing it is chaos as taunt has a 45s CD or something.

I don't know what it's like for DPS jobs, but I really like WHM and AST toolkits. Cheap/expensive/instant single target, absorb, AoE, AoE with HoT, instant AoE, ground target AoE. Endgame involves casting as few healing GCDs as possible between the healing pair to maximise combined healer dps which I just love.

We killed O1S and most of O2S last night. Spent over an hour waiting in party finder. : ( Would be so much nicer to have a full party and everyone on Discord when explaining strats/DBMing.

54 minutes ago, Largi said:

Whats wrong with doing 10k DPS in the first second of the pull? :D

As a Tank, fuck you.

As a healer, lol no heals for you. You can tank the floor.

As a melee DPS, 'muh positionals!'.

Its only bad when I forget to press my "Half my aggro for the next 10 seconds" button before I do it!

Glad current EX/Savage aren't part of the mentor roulette.

Then again people are more likely to know and do them properly compared to the old ones... XD;

Edited by Buachalla

7 hours ago, Myrrh said:

He's available on extreme now! Going to be fun wiping to him.

Are you around on Wednesdays Mark?

Unfortunately I'm nearly always out on a Wednesday. 313 ilvl now though.

They appear to have removed the weekly loot lock for Deltascape. You can just keep requeuing and getting loot again and again.

Yeah, the new 24 man drops 330 on a weekly lockout now.

Not sure what the new dungeon drops?

Edited by Buachalla

We tried to queue for the Alliance raid as a 7 last night after failing to find a tank but the queue was over 30 minutes somehow xD

Can someone explain collectables to me? I'm trying to level gathering through Heavensward but I cannot find enough information about the timing of collectables. I think they got changed in 4.0 and I cannot find an up to date guide.