Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Warframe - Becasue everyone wants to be an MMO...

Tried a fresh start on the with my PS4. All fine for the first 4/5 missions then it just goes "and there you have it, play" with no guidance, no explanation of game modes, nothing. New player experience is really quite bad and that's from someone who knows the game.

On 11/07/2017 at 10:26 AM, Welsper said:

Yay Thread Necro! By now i spose even the grag doesnt even bother with this horrid game anymore. Didnt see him on the tennocon stream! 

Either way, id still like to talk about it, so heres an attempt at least!

tennocon was intresting as usual, with tons of stuff thatll be horribly implemented or not at all. PoE = We "open world" mmorpg now! Also, umbra for everyone. i hope i get to airlock my potatoe as "the sacrifice" for it.

Are you blind good sir? Or did you not look at the youtuber panel:

Very much stil laddicited to the game. Havent been able to play much though due to writing thesis (deadline: end of Jan 2018). Once I have done that going to get back into the game and making videos for it in a big way. I dont know if anyone has given plains of eidolon a go. Its a very different experience however really hard to get into (as usual for DE).

New players also have a terrible experience.

However it does have fishing, mining and monster hunting!

Edited by Gragneth

On 06/08/2017 at 11:33 AM, Kryton said:

Tried a fresh start on the with my PS4. All fine for the first 4/5 missions then it just goes "and there you have it, play" with no guidance, no explanation of game modes, nothing. New player experience is really quite bad and that's from someone who knows the game.

The next thing it should try and do is guide to looking at the next junction and getting you to meet the objectives. However those were added later so there is no audio to guide you on to that.

Also theres the plains now (coming to consoles on Tuesday) that will mess new players around even more. It is not new player friendly.

ITS ALLIIIVEEE... but thats intresting to hear! didnt realize you were working that hard, and i did infact not see you on that panel! makes sense youd be with the youtubers tho and not the general populace. 

As for the actual game, gotta agree as usual that many things these days are awful, but poe is quite nice, once you manage to get there. however, it even took a guide and quite some effort for me, and thats with being rather.. familiar and well invested into the game with virtually all resources at my hands. New players are so fucked. 

biggest complaint currently: my zenurik T_T its a buff for channeled skills ofc, but what about my infinite afk energy! its all about the "support" tree with its +50m affinity range these days tbh. 

Also: fuck taters and fuck the stupid reworks to make them more like real characters. god i want them dead and gone. 

Very.

Is the playerbase for this actually growing? I can't help but feel it is really inaccessible for new players. They have that horrible problem mmo's can suffer from at expac launches where progression in new content either has to be accessible to new players (and therefore trivial to veterans with a bank of resources) or a challenge for the fans (and therefore impossible for new players).

Numbers are good. Its defeinetly not dying anytime soon:

http://steamcharts.com/app/230410#All

They tried to tackle the veteran issue you mentioned in PoE (plains of Eidolon) by having very few of the resources carry over. This was good for the new and old players. Everyone was equal in that respect the next problem was that the plains didnt really connect back into the progression path for new players. So it kind of is an odd dead end for newer players. As they basically need to abandon the plains and progress the star chart normally if they want to actually get gear (beyond 1 warframe and their own customized melee weapon, thats all the plain can really net them).

Been checking the reddit and warframe still regulary gets new players, a fair number of disenfranchised destiny 2 players seem to find Warframe. If they get to the Reddit/a helpful friend and came it through the first few planets then they will be established in the game. Trying to get them there is the hard bit imo.

Problem is that DE is not a massive triple A company that can direct an entire DE studios worth of people to sorting out the new player experience repeatedly. Also warframe is a bloody huge game these days, there is oodles of content there now.

Also warframe has been getting a lot wider youtube pickup as well. One of favourites was this video by a destiny player called skillup. I have watched this video about 7 times through so that i can re-see warframe through new eyes as it is now. just watch at least the first 3 mins, however does go beyond to makes a lot of good points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuJitrbTFY

Edited by Gragneth

I find it absolutely fascinating that this game has survived and has such an obsessive community for such a mediocre game. I haven't played it for years at this point and it was pretty fun for a few months way back but it was extremely repetitive after a while and the game lacked so much polish, was horribly unbalanced, and the devs kept adding ridiculous shit instead of really core things that were missing or fixing basic shit like UI problems.

Maybe the game has changed a lot and certain the core gameplay was pretty fun but there are loads of games just like Warframe with all the same kinds of problems that die out after a year (that Jetpacks game springs to mind) and yet somehow this one survived. And the three or four times that my curiosity in this regard led me to check SA or reddit I mostly just found a load of people complaining about the same (kind of) shit that I was complaining about when the game was new.

I don't mean to claim that the game is bad or that people shouldn't play it, that's not what I'm getting it. I just find it quite interesting. There really is something about this game that keeps people playing despite all the issues. And I think I can even remember feeling that way at some point. Some of the core concepts really are great. The general combat and movement flow, the flexibility of which mods to run, upgrading your abilities or even swapping them out entirely for better passive buffs, these were are really cool and just felt right.

In some ways I just end up feeling frustrated that this concept wasn't executed by a really competent MMO team.

Personally, i always come back to warframe because the core gameplay just feels.. really good. the gun play is just damn satisfying, and even tho movement has been nerfed/changed several times now, its still workable. sure, theres a boatload of shit to complain about, but in general, i enjoy it.

also, lets face it, its got hot chicks in tight bodysuits. sex sells. its damn good fetish fuel. i mean, have you seen the graxx skins? dear LORD that mag skin. and ofc, valks gersemi etc. but those goddamn ugly potatoes RUIN  my fap sessions, GODDAMMIT DE. Airlock option, NOW.