Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Warframe - Becasue everyone wants to be an MMO...

So it turns out this game is actually pretty fun. It looks great, the gameplay is simple but varied, and the classes don't feel restrictive.

Anyone else playing?

Edited by Gragneth

I tend to die quite alot in solo missions.  I don't think it's because I'm crap (although I need more practice in using my melee attacks).  Should I be needing to return to earlier levels at this stage?

You have to take your time a bit on solo but the early missions should be doable. I got halfway through Venus without any problems (I died once, ever, on Solo).

A lot of it depends on what mods you have on your frame. Shield Capacity and Shield Regen help a lot.

Melee is important too. Learn to time your charge attack (by this I mean holding the attach button down) so that you run towards your enemy and it goes off as you reach them. Don't ever mash the melee button, it sucks. But you can use a single melee attack to "stun" an enemy to then do a charge attack.

If you're running out of ammo you need to melee more. There is hardly ever any reason to shoot at a single enemy, or even a group of 2-3, because you can just run right at them and your shield will eat whatever damage they can put out before you reach them and then they die in one (charged) hit.

You can also just play Online with pubbies I guess.

So I died on level 1. Twice.

Feels like theres a lot going on that its not told me about yet - like how all the mods piece together.

Yeah the game doesn't explain anything very well right now, but it's a beta so that's kind of fair enough.

Having said that, I'm not sure why you'd be dying a lot on the first few levels.

Come on TS sometime, we're usually on Drew's for this because that lot are playing it but I'm always connected to both servers when I'm on so you can poke me on either.

I know why i'm dying a lot - its the fact that the games third person, I just can never control it as well as I should be able to.

Yeah I got one too, and I think Loz has a couple.

Dan: worth knowing that you get a free gift for each day that you log in and the quality increases after three and seven days. It resets if you miss a day. So if you can, at least log in once a day to grab that. For the purposes of Warframe, a day starts at 00:00 GMT (so currently 01:00 UK).

OOoooo We have thread!

Sorry to hear your doing badly Dan. Kind of the reason why I made sure to run everyone through a couple of levels first time through. Once you can equip even a few mods and abilities its a different game.

I have to be off out right now but I will most some more later about void keys and such. 

As ever, you should also read the OP of the goon thread. It gives a quick newbie guide and tells you which items are a terrible waste of money. It is a little short on info but it's a good start.

After that, hit up the wiki for lots of info.

Bought the Braton as instructed and it is a lovely improved to damage output.  I'm getting worryingly addicted to this game already...

That Goon guide is good. I was umming and arring over buying a stupidly expensive frame. However it is ridiculous, the guide recommends much better alternatives.

I think I will get a sentinel. They really feel a good deal at 75 and probably bring more to the game.

I think I will go for the tier 1 founder pack and my first purchases will be:

-75 Sentinel (Goons are right Wyrm sucks. Probably get Death cube but the stealth looks interesting on shade)

-75 Saturated Classic colours 9 A full set of colours so I can play dress up!)

-10 A Neural Sensor (I need one rare component to build a frame and it is not dropping, the frame would cost 375 So not bad)

-80 4 Warframe slots (Incentive to build more! I'm about to build one and one recipe of a second so this seems sensible)

-24 4 Weapon slots (Cheap and give freedom)

Total: 264

So I will still have 106 spare for other stuff.

Edited by Gragneth

Everyone should also note that the founder packs are cheaper than just buying Plat straight up, and you can upgrade from one tier to the next at a later date by just paying the difference. The second tier is actually a pretty great deal since it includes a frame too.

I think I'm also going to buy a Shade.

Although it does include a frame, the frame is just Excalibur with one extra polarity.  Kinda sucks if you took Excalibur as your starting frame but I agree it is nice otherwise.

The Plat alone is still a pretty good deal (compared to the normal Plat bundles). But yeah, there's definitely a really good argument for not taking Excalibur if you're going to buy that. Of course, most people wouldn't know that by the time it asks you to pick.

Right so Sam pointed me to this cool site

http://www.kingtaro.com/warframe/

It is good for showing you the current "alert" missions. It also updates faster then twitter and plays a sound on a new alert occurring.

Alert rewards can be money but can be rare recipes and crafting materials as well.

Also another thing to consider is Void keys which can be lvl 1-3 in several types of mission. I have tried a lvl 1 key and the mobs are lvl 20. Keys are one use and do a special mission on the void tower based on the lvl and name of the key. Best to get 3-4 people so that everyone can get the loot. They Can contain special ninja time run sections that if you do can easily give rare mods. However to slow and you cant reach the loot.

Shows some of these time trials.

Edited by Gragneth

I think loz jumped into your group, I joined him - he voted for the prequal to the Alert that had an aura mod on it so we could do the alert, and we hoped you'd either return or just survive to get completion... But something killed you...

When we got back out you weren't in our session any more so we couldn't try and drag you into the alert...

So I posted about the frame in the founders pack in the forums and surprisingly for a set of forums I didn't get flamed immediately.  Even had one guy tell me to do an account reset and offer to run me straight through to where I am now with a new frame.  Nice offer.

Does Mastery actually do anything useful other than unlock some weapons at rank 4 or thereabouts? Everyone in that thread is saying "at least you get the Mastery" but I don't really feel like there is a good reason to care about that.