Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

BoT Voice: TeamSpeak & Mumble Servers

We currently have two voice servers running.  You can use these for pretty much anything you want, and guests are welcome as long as they are not doing anything stupid.  Both have channels for a selection of popular games, as well as general channels.  Please try to put yourself in the right place so that people can see what you're doing without having to join the channel and ask.

TeamSpeak 3

Client
Download the latest client here.  Version 3.2.x is recommended.

BoT Voice
Private
This is the main server for guild raids and general BoT community/gaming use. You can share these details with non-BoT friends and people that you trust.

Label: BoT Voice
Server: voice.bottleortree.uk

BoT PUG
Public
This can be used for public groups and or any situation where we want to invite people temporarily.

Label: BoT PUG
Server: pug.bottleortree.uk

All other fields can be left blank and you do not need to enter a port for either server. 

Permissions
You should be able to do most things as a Guest, but you can be promoted if you ask me. The permissions system is somewhat over-complicated, in my opinion, but it should be mostly sensible as it is right now. if anything seems odd, let me know.

Voice
Please use Push To Talk, or a properly calibrated Voice Activation. Please also use headphones. If you sound terrible, cause feedback/echo, broadcast your breathing constantly or generally do anything else which is annoying for other people you'll probably end up muted or moved to another channel. That's your fair warning. It takes thirty seconds to set things up, don't make shitty excuses.

Mumble

Be aware: you're welcome to use Mumble but we mostly hang out on TS these days.

Client
Download the latest client here. I recommend using the developer snapshots as they are very stable and add some new features.

Server
Name: BoT
Server: voice.bottleortree.uk
Port: 64738
Username: <whatever>

Or use this link:
mumble://voice.bottleortree.uk/?version=2.4.0

Permissions
Once you connect, right click on yourself and choose Register.
You can create channels in the User section, but please only do this if you actually intend to use it regularly.

Voice

Same as TS. Use PTT or calibrate properly.

Mumble has a new codec which is supposed to improve quality and efficiency but it only works if everyone's client supports it, which would mean everyone updating to the current beta. I've been running it for a few weeks and it is entirely stable and fine, so at some point soon I'll probably turn the new codec on. When that happens you'll need to update in order to be able to transmit or receive. I will give at least a week of warning before doing it but consider this to be some kind of pre-warning. Updating now is not a bad idea. Running the beta permanently is not a bad idea to be honest, they are always good.

The new version also includes some other stuff like audio cues to tell you when you are transmitting, useful for the horrible mouthbreathers amongst us:

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/1.2.4

If everyone in a channel has the new version, it will switch. Did it stop someone from transmitting? I may have the auto-switch settings set incorrectly.

It stopped me being able to transmit when I was in a channel on my own. Yes, I appreciate that sounds daft. I upgraded my client to get around it but then didn't log back in and use it...

Edited by Dan

Lei put something about normalising mumble somewhere... anyone remember what it was?

Richards having issues with mumble where my headset movements set his speakers off massively.

There is nothing on the receiver's side which can control that, you are either broadcasting or you're not, and when you are, everyone hears it.

You need to either run the setup wizard again, adjust your voice activation sensitivity in the settings, out switch to push-to-talk.

For the record I had the same issue with certain Mumble players though I don't remember who specifically.

Basically Richard has a £7k+ sound system which of course his PC is hooked upto.

when my headset moves you get the odd knocking noise (or if I sigh deeply it sets off the Voice Activation) Which is fine for most of the people, Tom, Chris e.t.c don't even notice most of the time.

However for Richard it comes across as a huge booming noise.

He's... adverse to mumble as it is, but we all prefer it. I just remembered Lei putting something somewhere that leveled people out and thought it may help but google is providing no clues.

ah well. Anything to escape returning to Skype.

Mumble does it's own volume normalisation, I'm not aware of anything else. Increase your voice activation level or move your mic away from your mouth (or place it lower) so that you don't breath directly at it.

Moving your headset around shouldn't be producing noises so maybe it's just broken (or terrible).

It does also sound like maybe he has his base/volume too high but I doubt you'll convince him of that. Fundamentally the problem exists on your end.

Edit: You should also make sure everyone is on the latest beta so that you're getting the correct codec and the voice activation and background noise improvements that were made a while ago. But that is not going to fix the issue by itself.

Need some dudes to test new Mumble:

Server: mumble.talnivarr.eu

Port: 64738 (default and same as old server)

Username: same as old server

If the URL doesn't work, try:

[redacted]

Yep, seemed good to me, thanks to everyone who switched over. The old server is still up but only as a way to tell people to switch.

In related news, Mark and I were talking about the old Mumble vs. TeamSpeak debate. I'm probably going to throw up a TS3 server and run them in parallel to give people that option. know that some of the Planetside crew only have TS installed and I'm sure some of the LoL guys only have Mumble, so I won't make people use one or the other, you can decide within your own gaming groups.

I think TS is better, but I dont like using Drews server if we have mumble available. It just feels rude even though it's been confirmed that he doesnt mind as long as we're people that he knows etc.

I think a TS server is a good idea and expect the LoL people would just switch which would help us be less split as a "guild".

Great, I'll get that set up soon :) .

If the LoL guys switch over too then I can see us ending up in a situation where nobody is actually using Mumble any more. But we'll run both for the moment and see how it goes.

Yep, I'd happily use TS instead if people did, but I do like mumble myself, I find the voice activation works better. Using Drew's server feels awkward especially we invite other friends to join us.

I always feel kind of nostalgic about TS since it was the first voicecomms program I ever used, back in the day for playing SWG with my PVP PA.

I used to use one of these. Never used the macros and shit since those only really worked for Roger Wilco but the mute button and volume slider were pretty handy and it had a switch to flip between headset and speakers.

UO days best days.

Teamspeak is up: teamspeak.talnivarr.eu

It doesn't have channels or permissions yet since I need to remind myself how that all works. Should be ready for use tomorrow evening.