Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Site Feedback & Announcements

Didn't say it was affecting everyone.
Just going roundin a circle of logging on At home, at work and on my mobile. Started when I changed phone to my Pixel.

Are you going directly to https://bottleortree.uk and does the address bar show that and show the green padlock?

Does refreshing the page or clicking a link show you logged in or do you have to type your details in every time?

Does closing your browser cause you to be logged out?

Does logging in under incognito browsing log you out of the same device in normal browsing?

3 minutes ago, Nacey said:

Are you going directly to https://bottleortree.uk and does the address bar show that and show the green padlock?

Does refreshing the page or clicking a link show you logged in or do you have to type your details in every time?

Does closing your browser cause you to be logged out?

Does logging in under incognito browsing log you out of the same device in normal browsing?

Yes
Refreshing or Clicking Links shows me Logged in
No
No

Are you using a bookmark to access the site? What's the exact link on the bookmark? You may get redirected silently so the address you end up on could be different.

Basically it sounds like the cookie doesn't match whatever page you're landing on, and then clicking a link takes you to the correct domain and it works. The weird part is that HTTP and bottleortree.co.uk (the two ways I can think of this happening) should just redirect by themselves and put you in the right place, and since refreshing the exact same page fixes it too I'm a bit confused as to what is happening! I also don't know why you'd suddenly see this behaviour on multiple devices.

I assume you're not using Facebook login or anything weird like that?

Nope not using facebook Login.
Just had to do a reset for updating flash player and that has logged me out. 
The odd part was it happening on multiple devices.

I've just had a new work computer and I'm now getting similar behaviour as @Largi whenever I login on my work machine it logs me out on my phone

Windows 10 - Chrome Version 60.0.3112.78 (Official Build) (64-bit)

iOS 10.3.2 - Safari

Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a loss as I don't see that behaviour, most people aren't getting it, and can't reproduce it. I'm not even entirely clear what is happening exactly. Can one of you be a lot more verbose about what happens, the exact order that you do things in to trigger it, etc. Get your PC and your phone and just play with it a bit and tell me what happens in different situations. Is it ever possible to get them both to stay logged in? Does it only die when you close the session or will it literally log you out while you are using it if you touch the other device? And is it really logging you out or is it just the first page that looks that way but refreshing or clicking on a link fixes it (Nik suggested that this was the case)? And so on. Please try to give me more than just one word answers to specific questions.

I don't know if this is related, but I have just remembered that there was a point a while ago where every time I went to the BoT forum on my supervisor's macbook, I was logged out, since it was mostly the same device I saw it on, I assumed there was some kind of device limit for number of stored logins somewhere and that it wouldn't recognise the macbook as an additional login after everything else I had was connected to it. Didn't really think about it too much after that though and I can't remember if it was the one device or whether it kept toggling logouts out between that and something else, but if it's related and you want to test it, you'd just need to log in on more devices and see if they all hold the login. I don't think refreshing ever fixed it in my case and I could browse stuff logged out, it just wouldn't toggle things read.

No idea if any of this is related/helps to find a way to replicate issues though.

Ok this is also happening with two browsers on the same machine, (Edge and Chrome).

Digging into it, the server appears to tell my browser to delete its login cookie after I login on another device. An example

Login on Chrome
Login on Edge
Close Chrome
Open Chrome and load page -> request includes previous member id and pass hash as seen below -> Response tells chrome to drop current member id (i.e. logout)

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: bottleortree.uk
Connection: keep-alive
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.78 Safari/537.36
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Accept-Language: en-GB,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.6
Cookie: ips4_hasJS=true; ips4_member_id=150; ips4_pass_hash=4ecacb1a12a52c6a1e20cd60146239e9

Response:

Cache-Control:no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Connection:close
Content-Encoding:gzip
Content-Length:7669
Content-Type:text/html;charset=UTF-8
Date:Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:42:46 GMT
Expires:Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Pragma:no-cache
Server:Microsoft-IIS/8.0
Set-Cookie:ips4_pass_hash=deleted; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:01 GMT; Max-Age=0; path=/; secure; httponly
Set-Cookie:ips4_IPSSessionFront=8g8auhfbq85i3sgh18tshl74t6; path=/; secure; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie:ips4_member_id=deleted; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:01 GMT; Max-Age=0; path=/; secure; httponly
X-Powered-By:PHP/5.6.27
X-XSS-Protection:0

So what does it look when just closing and opening the browser:

Normal request in an active session:

Accept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflate, br
Accept-Language:en-GB,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.6
Connection:keep-alive
Cookie:ips4_hasJS=true; ips4_IPSSessionFront=8g8auhfbq85i3sgh18tshl74t6; ips4_member_id=150; ips4_pass_hash=90e4a9f81fad759b43e274d3da0e4bd0; ips4_ipsTimezone=Europe/London
Host:bottleortree.uk
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests:1
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.78 Safari/537.36

Response:

Content-Length:8450
Date:Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:46:49 GMT

Close browser and reopen (ips4_IPSSessionFront now deleted)

Accept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflate, br
Accept-Language:en-GB,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.6
Connection:keep-alive
Cookie:ips4_hasJS=true; ips4_member_id=150; ips4_pass_hash=90e4a9f81fad759b43e274d3da0e4bd0
Host:bottleortree.uk
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests:1
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.78 Safari/537.36

Content-Length:8449
Date:Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:48:04 GMT
Set-Cookie:ips4_pass_hash=90e4a9f81fad759b43e274d3da0e4bd0; expires=Fri, 27-Oct-2017 15:48:04 GMT; Max-Age=7948800; path=/; secure; httponly
Set-Cookie:ips4_IPSSessionFront=r9rb3qc7kpf450g9a60k8ai3o5; path=/; secure; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie:ips4_member_id=150; expires=Fri, 27-Oct-2017 15:48:04 GMT; Max-Age=7948800; path=/; secure; httponly

Server gives me a new ips4_IPSSessionFront and refreshes ips4_member_id and ips4_pass_hash 

Installing Firefox to try between more browsers now...

Thanks Tim, that's helpful. I'll take a proper look at those logs when I'm at home.

There's a feature update I need to run which could solve this but probably won't. And I'll try to reproduce between browsers.

A little more research suggests that the update may actually include a fix for exactly this problem.

It relates to a weird way that they implemented sessions as that code is apparently quite old and was written before multi-device usage was common. It only triggers if you log into two different devices more than three months apart without ever logging out/in during that time. Which fits what you guys are seeing and why most of us aren't as that's obviously quite a specific situation to end up in.

I'll try to get the update run this weekend and we'll see if that fixes it.

4.2 update has been run.

1) @Tim @Largi please let me know if the problem still happens.

2) The dark theme has a few rough edges right now. Like, quite literally. Please be patient, I'll fix that but need to do a few other bits first which are more important. It looks like the light theme may also need a few tweaks on text colours but the important shit (thread lists, posts, etc) should be readable on either. If anything is totally unusable you can post it here.

I've re-enabled the default (blue/white) theme which at least has good contrast and readable text while I sort stuff out so feel free to switch to that temporarily if you prefer.

Not sure if this was your intended solution - mines dark but with white boxes around everything

After an update I always love trying to guess who will be the first idiot to post in this thread without reading my posts.

Hnng, its not that I didn't read it, its that I misread it - I thought you thought you'd turned on the White\Blue for everyone.

Cool, thanks.

Themes are being annoying again. That dark theme I found last time doesn't seem to have been updated for a year so we may be changing the themes again.

New theme is up, you can switch the background colour with the little "photo" icon near the top of any page. Currently we just have some colours, including a blue for those who secretly yearn for PB. I'm open to ideas for anything interesting to use as a background.

All users have been reset to this new theme.

Please do report any problems. I don't really intend to fuck around with this theme very much but if something is literally broken I can pass that on and it should get fixed.

There is also a light version of this theme, if anyone needs a light theme for work or similar please let me know and I can get it installed. For now you can switch to the blue/white IPS default theme if you need one.

What did you do, this looks cool!

EDIT: Apparently I have good timing.

Edited by Dan

1 hour ago, Brynneth said:

Edit: This new version of IPS is so bad on mobile what did they do to fuck it up so badly?

What's up with it?