Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Site Feedback & Announcements

Are people receiving emails from the forum? You should get them for PMs, for example. I've had two people report not receiving new account / passport reset emails recently but for me they work fine and the servers thinks they were sent.

I've noticed the background colour of the notifications menu is white rather than black\grey. I rarely use it so I'm not massively fussed if its stuck this way or isn't worth the time, but figured you may rather know.

Colouring.PNG

Is there any way to turn the WYSIWYG editor off in the new version so I can edit in just plaintext/BBcode? I can't figure out a way cut/copy & pasting quoted text in the new version of the board, say if I wanted to quote a post but in a different thread. 

If you hover the quote there is a "mover" in the top left. Clicking on that acts as "selecting" the entire block. so Ctrl+C will then copy the entire quote box which you can then just paste it into the editor in any other thread.

Posts are all saved in HTML now so you can't edit them as plaintext. Well, admins can, and what you get is the actual HTML, so it's really not a good way to edit stuff.

@Nacey - Ben has attempted to sign up to the forum but says he hasn't had an email. Could you investigate?

Edited by Dan

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

@Nacey - Ben has attempted to sign up to the forum but says he hasn't had an email. Could you investigate?

I resent the email, if he hasn't got it let me know and I'll just flag him as validated.

I'll leave it to Todd to look at why the email is missing.

That's the third person in a row seeing that issue on registering so I'm going to assume they aren't sending and just validate the account. Other emails seem to work fine and manually sending one with the tester certainly work reliably. I may try using SparkPost instead but not sure if the problem is the forum or the email server. Maybe the PHP logs have something in them.

Anyway his account is active now.

Edit: No sign of anything in webserver or PHP logs. I've changed it to SMTP to a local mail server rather than using PHP mail function, which is the setup we had a while ago. The downside is sometimes the mail server doesn't boot properly if I ever have to restart the server. If this fixes it I'll setup SparkPost and that should resolve this properly.

Just now, Nacey said:

Sorry, missed this. Right-hand most button on the editor toolbar.

Oooooh, didn't notice that. Forgiven.

Have a small forum update to run plus TS needs updating and probably some server OS updates too so planning to do these tomorrow during the day, downtime should be fairly minimal but if you see the site disappear it'll be that.

You can click it if you want, it won't work as I never bothered to set up FTP!

Also, yeah, this will be Tuesday because I didn't have the free time to do it today.

All done.

Also today I found out that PHP 7 is now apparently a thing. So I guess that's another upgrade on the list but I need to look into whether that's an advisable thing to move to.

Ran a quick security update this morning. You'll probably need to log in again.

Couple of OS updates to run so doing that now while Voice is empty, server will go down breifly for a reboot.

Edit: Done.

To avoid running into some upcoming security changes in Chrome, any directly linked image will now be proxied via our server. This should be invisible on the page itself and will avoid "mixed content" and similar warnings.

Here's an example:

gradle_logo.gif

This change is intended to stop an odd slip up from causing security warnings, not as a lazy way to upload images!

Please use Imgur or the upload feature to post your awesome red panda photos.

From now on if you see any page without the green padlock (or see any other kind of security-related message from your browser) please let me know :).

(If you are using IE I probably don't care but you can post about it anyway if you like.)

12 hours ago, NATO said:

does this mean that my irreverent puush images won't work?

This change should make zero difference to what you can/can't post or how you do it. The only real change is that nobody should ever see a mixed content warning on a forum page any more.

But, as mentioned, using Imgur or uploading directly continue to be the recommended methods of posting images since this avoids us ending up with a bunch of broken/blocked/deleted images in random threads.

1 hour ago, dangphat said:

did I do it right?

Approved.

3 hours ago, dangphat said:

did I do it right?

I can't help but picture that panda in a top hat and cane. xD