Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Site Feedback & Announcements

I get some notifications like that, I seem to appear whenever someone makes a post in a thread (although lots of sites seem to do this now for updates, I don't know if they are customisable or not at either end), not sure if it's strictly only threads I've previously posted in however since all the active ones are one's I've posted in at least once. I don't really find it a problem though because I find it useful to be announced when someone has made a post on the forums but I imagine it's less relevant for someone not playing WoW and stuff to receive constant updates. I don't know how this system scales for larger forums though where people are making new posts constantly, so I would assume that it would keep to just notifying you about new posts in threads you've previously contributed to, but could be wrong, I haven't checked whether that's the case for you Tom.

Edit: Relevant to the other stuff, rather than yellow/gold as a highlight theme, if people like the bright colours, how about going green and orange as a theme? Less dull than brown, not as light as the yellow for the reply button etc.

Edited by Fyria

Maybe those of us who see them are the ones who clicked "Allow" rather than "Block" when Chrome told us that the site wants to give us notifications.

You say this, but I only get relevant ones, where it would appear it has an odd definition of relevant for Tom.

Edited by Dan

5 hours ago, Brynneth said:

Maybe those of us who see them are the ones who clicked "Allow" rather than "Block" when Chrome told us that the site wants to give us notifications.

We know that much, it's just the odd choice of thread updates that Tom is being notified about is the issue, and whether or not settings can be customised to keep them to relevant ones I guess. Well, that's how I was reading the problem.

7 hours ago, Brynneth said:

No, I use native Chrome notifications and don't see them except when I am quoted/tagged.

6 hours ago, Buachalla said:

I get notifications on desktop if I have the thread open.

Chrome notifications or just the in-thread popup thing?

1 hour ago, Fyria said:

We know that much, it's just the odd choice of thread updates that Tom is being notified about is the issue, and whether or not settings can be customised to keep them to relevant ones I guess. Well, that's how I was reading the problem.

This; I can obviously go in to Chromes settings and disable the forums from giving me notifications if it bothers me that much, but it's really weird behaviour as to why it chooses to tell me things seemingly at random.

7 minutes ago, Nacey said:

No, I use native Chrome notifications and don't see them except when I am quoted/tagged.

Chrome notifications or just the in-thread popup thing?

Do you have the thread open at all? I seem to get them when 

Chrome, as well as the in thread pop-up and I just got a Chrome notification for you quoting me just there when I didn't have the thread open.

I've not seen any Chrome notifications except when the site is open (IPB doesn't currently support true background push from the server) and then the ones I do get match exactly with my notifications settings. Doesn't seem to matter what specific thread or page I'm looking at.

Something is weird because several of you have the issue but it's hard to figure out what it might be.

Hm, yeah. I have Chrome notifications blocked but I get the forum's own toasts when I login saying things like "You've been quoted in a thread by..."

Getting quoted is an intended notification, you can control that in your notification options.

Getting told about random posts by Mourke is not. Nothing against Mourke, I'm sure his posts are great, but Tom doesn't need post-by-post updates.

Yeah, those are two separate notification systems, the forum ones trigger when you are quoted or tagged. The Chrome ones notify when there are updates/posts in threads.

Edited by Fyria

Have a couple of ideas for palettes that I'll hopefully get a chance try to test out over the weekend so if see things looking a bit weird don't panic :) .

Found some colours that I think work pretty well (I used Google's Material palette). Dark theme is now using these and I welcome any feedback on it.

All users have been reset to this new dark theme (I had to delete the other dark theme as it got messed up) but you're free to switch. The light theme has not been converted to these colours yet but it is green and generally looks okay so should be usable.

I put the old crest in and it looks pretty silly to be honest.

This crest looks fine on Mobile, but that's partly because you can't see much of the rest of the site while on it.

Liking the current iteration of the default dark theme now - The only bit that's a little odd (and its not a big deal really) is the background of the reply box is white.

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

This crest looks fine on Mobile, but that's partly because you can't see much of the rest of the site while on it.

Liking the current iteration of the default dark theme now - The only bit that's a little odd (and its not a big deal really) is the background of the reply box is white.

I don't think it's possible to change this as it potentially causes issues with how the text ends up being built into a post.

Yeah fair. Its not that its out of place too far, its that its bright in comparison to the rest. This isn't something that bothers me - I have my IDE's in standard colours (rather than using Darkula) so its no brighter than my other monitors.

I poked it a bit, it might be doable (the quote boxes work, after all). Actually got the background to change but the text colour wouldn't budge. I'll see if I can find anything on the IPS forums.

Don't spend long on it, I don't really care, I don't know what reasons other people use the Dark themes for... If people don't want bright colours on their screens at certain times, they should use F.lux or Twilight.