Sign in to follow this  
Dan

In a perfect world...

...all the geeks get the girls.

Loads of you are in long term stable relationships, and yet I cant even get the momentary attention of lasses.

What am I missing?

(Queue the comedy...)

Well, what am i sposed to say! here i am, charming, sexy, open minded, and yet, NOTHING! oh, woe is us...

now, dont ask me where ive got this from, but certain sources suggest that "bitches love smiley faces"... ever tried that?

I smile when I'm having a good time and if I'm trying I'm usually already enjoying myself.

The comedy can get in line, this is a thread.

I'm looking at Mark/Claire, Tom/Maz, Sarah/Sharp, Rosedawn I thought was married, ISO and whoever he is with this time, last I spoke to him dave was in a relationship (though less applicable), Tom/Michelle(?), Sammy and his girl, Myrrh/Olivia, Gaz and his lass, Sam/Ian, Tim/Eve... I can't think of anymore though I'm horribly drunk...

It's actually quite a long list...

Did you read the same list as me? Frankly a lot of them qualify as more geeky than i do. I play wow, magic, enjoy sci fi and work in it. I don't play with minatures, enjoy anime, larp, cosplay, have a fascination with giant robots, love everything out of Japan, speak Klingon, role play of any kind or play any other card games or mmo.

I don't know, let me find my geekometer...

Damn where did I put that thing? I know it's right here in my science lab somewhere. Oh God, how will I measure geekitude without it?

Well Dan, not to sound like a dick ( which I am ), but women generally smell desperation a mile away.

Also, there's really more things to this world than relationships, and generally it's a bad idea to wait for one to drop into your lap.

Personally, I was hanging around in gay bars when Erica found me. There's no telling how these things go.

In a perfect world I would have 20 girlfriends because I'm so fucking awesome, alas this isn't a perfect world.

Besides, being single isn't all that bad. The only downside is money, for some reason married couples have an easier time getting loans, even if they just married for the financial benefits and not for the wub.

But I'll make it, damn it. I'll make it good.

Seeing as ive got my harem of at least 20 girls ( cant even be bothered to count anymore! ) around me at all times, let me tell you khatum, it isnt as glorious as it sounds.. sure, its sex sex sex more sex oh god so much sex 24/7, but damn, satisfying all of em is hard work right there! but, what can i say.. i just love me job.

Try doing the non-geeky things every once in a while. All those people on your 'list' go out and do all the 'normal' activites people do as well.

I presume he was yes.

I dont think there's any advice I can offer that I havent already said years ago to be honest Dan. However I would agree with Rykanik in that the more desperate you are and the harder you try as a result, the more people will notice you are desperate and be scared off so you are less likely to get anywhere.

If you are happy and confident with your life how it is, and make some semblence of an effort with your appearance (ok I fail at this a bit) then you increase your chances of someone noticing you over time.

I'm not sure but I presume most people in relationships now didnt ask their partner for their number as soon as they met them and send them 100 texts a day, it was something that developed over time.

An aside however is that in my mind "geekyness" isnt just about hobbies. It can be how you are perceived by other people. A fair number of people dont look or act like geeks but then have geeky hobbies (I think Dangphat Tom would fit this bill). They can socially interact with normal people (non-geeks) without causing any social mockery. Some people even with only a much smaller number of geeky hobbies, struggle to be "normal" when required and therefore by most would be considered "more geeky".

I was\am, but that doesn't mean I'm not left wandering about this still. That and some of the non-serious posts have set me giggling - the other upside to a thread like this.

Ian\Lei - Thanks, obvious posts are obvious when read, but actually I quite often need the obvious stating. Both of you know too well what I can be like when in pursuit of someone...

Sorry, I have giggles now and feel the need to post this pic from last night:

Spot the many many many problems!

408880_10100426434151319_197810587_57799159_2060236330_n.jpg

Okay, bit of actual seriousness then. Like any friendship, the more you hang out and the more you do stuff together, strengthens the bond. It'll 'just happen.

I'm pretty sure everyone can say, that they'd hung out for a long while just being friends, before something 'clicked'.

Oh I wouldn't go down that route. It really is not a good idea to wait for something to "click" when you have a good friendship going. Best to just be happy you found a good friend, and move on.

Sorry, I have giggles now and feel the need to post this pic from last night:

Spot the many many many problems!

<snip>

I'm not one to throw stones from my glass house but if you actually want an honest critique of that then I'll give it. Up to you.

Dan to give you optomism, Michelle and I came through the friendzone and out the otherside. We were both sent to holland at the same time for a year long assignment. By the end of it we got together even though we were very much friends (spending just about all our free time together). Lei was wrong it doesnt "just happen" it does mean taking a risk, and its a massive risk because you could fuck up a friendship but for us it worked. In our case it took a very drunken and stoned night for both of us and a very nervous decision by me for it to happen. Two years later we have just bought a house.

So in other words man up!

Also read the something awful thread on how to dress.

Oh and to meet more women make new friends the more the better and eventually you will encounter a girl who you are compatible with.

Did you read the same list as me? Frankly a lot of them qualify as more geeky than i do. I play wow, magic, enjoy sci fi and work in it. I don't play with minatures, enjoy anime, larp, cosplay, have a fascination with giant robots, love everything out of Japan, speak Klingon, role play of any kind or play any other card games or mmo.

I know girls that do these things too. It's not some massive put off.