Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Musings From My Desk

In my head I yell "that is a cat" every time I see a cat photo. I've checked and your photos contain many cats, all of which are cats.

Sarah and I both have them. For the price they're excellent. You don't get programmable heights and the motor has a lower weight limit than more expensive desks but I have three 25in monitors on Amazon mounting arms plus my MITX computer and that all comes under the limit so who really cares.

I don't really use it standing up much though I have when working from home occasionally. It's still worthwhile though as making small adjustments to the height between typing, gaming and gamepad usage is something I do quite a lot.

The AC adapter died on mine after a couple of years which does seem to be a thing that happens sometimes but IKEA shipped me a new one no problems and that fixed it.

They're quite big, is the main thing. Notably the depth, even on the narrower models.

Any other specific questions, feel free to ask us.

So we've had 10 of those Ikea standing desks in the office for 2.5 years now. I'd say each gets about 1hr per day of being raised and the rest lowered. Every single one of them has had the ac adapter die between January and June of this year. 3 of them also had a broken motor, and Ikea told us that they wouldn't replace those, as it's basically the whole desk. For now we just ended up making those ones fixed tables for now.

I think for the price they're great, but you definitely get what you pay for.

On the other hand, I am using one of Ikea's conference corner tables at home for a desk. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/conference-meeting-tables/bekant-conference-table-birch-veneer-white-spr-49047464/ which seems to be excellent as a general purpose table.

It has a 10-year warranty which just says as long as you use it according to the specs its covered so I don't see how they can then argue that the motor is not covered. But I don't know how it works in reality. I'd certainly have a nice argument with them about it if it was my personal one and they refused.

But yeah, it's absolutely not comparable to any of the various £1000+ sit/stand desks. But most of those are hard to source in the UK or are way more expensive even than that.

We have the straight ones so can't comment on the corner version but they're all the same motor unit so shouldn't be any different really. In standing mode they do have a little bit of wobble, nothing crazy but if you push the thing it moves. Again I'm sure more expensive stuff is a little more stable but for the price I think they're great. The other thing it lacks is proper cable management. Try to run power up to the desk and then distribute it from there if you can as it saves having a lot of dangling cables which can get caught on stuff or each other when adjusting the thing. There's a net under the desk which can hold a power strip, I run my monitors from that and then from that I ran a tower-style power strip up to the desk for my PC, speakers, phone charger and any other random stuff. Also if you have a wired subwoofer make sure you have enough cable length to reach the floor from a standing position.