Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

The Android Thread

Fair enough.
I'm still rocking the default Pixel, so is probably my time to upgrade, I wouldn;t sya the default Pixel is bad, so might have been an option if it drops again with the 3

The problem with the original Pixel is that it's out of OS updates as of Pie. It'll probably get 9.1 but that's it. So it's hard to argue that it's a good value proposition at this point. I'm not sure what they sell for these days, I guess if you could get one for £200 it might be worth considering as it still has a fantastic camera and Google's excellent software optimisation on top of what is now middling hardware should keep performance decent. But remember that in a year's time you're going to be out of security updates so it's not a good long-term commitment.

Yeah so this is a case of stupid product naming:

Nokia 6 - This is the 2017 model, do not buy it.
Nokia 6.1 - This is the correct one, sometimes also called "Nokia 6 (2018)".
Nokia 6.1 Plus - This is a more expensive model with a taller screen (19:9) and a notch. It's fine but probably not what you want due to the price.

They're all different sizes but they're not really a range to choose between for the purpose of this conversation about good budget phones as only the 6.1 fits both of those descriptors.

There's no Play that I'm aware of or can see.. There's a Moto G6 Play, maybe you're confusing the two?

What are the views on the Pixel Slate?

I'm wanting a new tablet for Hearthstone, idle browsing, reading RP books / comics and watching the odd thing. 

No proper reviews for it yet so nobody really knows. I'm also unclear how the lower end model will perform given it's still a pretty expensive tablet. I'm sure the build quality and screen will be excellent just as they have been on all previous Pixel laptops.

The keyboard looks weird but I'm not sure if that's a thing you'd be getting. If it was literally a Pixelbook with a removable keyboard then I'd have nothing bad to say about it except that it's a bit expensive for a device that you can't play desktop OS games on, and Linux support is still very rough around the edges. If it's that but with a worse keyboard then I feel like I'd rather have the laptop.

But if you only want it as a tablet then it's undoubtedly going to be the best large-screen tablet you can buy that isn't cheap garbage because nobody else is really in that market and because Google have basically nailed that product in the convertible Chromebook already. Chrome OS is not a perfect tablet OS but it's better than Android.

From friends at the event they've suggested it's a miss currently, a few hardware issues that'll be fixed in a v2 but wait for proper reviews incase it's just a difference between the show versions and release. 

I only really heard concerns about the keyboard. But that wasn't friends, just journos / bloggers on Twitter and first-look articles. What did you hear?

On 10/8/2018 at 10:55 AM, Nacey said:

Yeah so this is a case of stupid product naming:

Nokia 6 - This is the 2017 model, do not buy it.
Nokia 6.1 - This is the correct one, sometimes also called "Nokia 6 (2018)".
Nokia 6.1 Plus - This is a more expensive model with a taller screen (19:9) and a notch. It's fine but probably not what you want due to the price.

They're all different sizes but they're not really a range to choose between for the purpose of this conversation about good budget phones as only the 6.1 fits both of those descriptors.

There's no Play that I'm aware of or can see.. There's a Moto G6 Play, maybe you're confusing the two?

Btw does this batshit numbering system continue in other models?

The Nokia 8 is currently half price on Amazon, presumably because it is the 2017 model and should be avoided?

Oh no the naming scheme for the 8 is even better. There are two 8s!

The Nokia 8 is a little over a year old though it's higher end so maybe still worth considering at the right price but not ideal. 

Nokia 8 Sirocco was a refresh they did on it earlier this year (articles suggest April-ish) so that would be more interesting. I think it's similar internals with a glass back, bezelless sides, and a smaller body.

Technically the 8 isn't on Android One which means you're reliant on "Nokia" (it's really HMD licencing the brand) for updates rather than Google, though they've had a pretty good track record so far. the 8 should get Pie but probably nothing next year's update, though this is most likely true of either phone. It seems like a pretty good deal at that price. The biggest downside that I can see with that model is the physical home button (and I assume this is where the fingerprint scanner is) and capacitive buttons as if we're still in 2015 or something. I'd say if they're the same price and you don't care about the button set up then it's a better deal than the 6.1.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:18 PM, Nacey said:

I only really heard concerns about the keyboard. But that wasn't friends, just journos / bloggers on Twitter and first-look articles. What did you hear?

Performance problems mostly. Laggy and general buggy issues with the OS. The keyboard case also moves around ALOT. 

Yeah so I do wonder about performance on the Celeron model. It's unclear which one they had at the launch event. I'm sure the i5 and i7 models will fly because the Pixelbook does (though the Slate is cramming more into a thinner package so let's hope they've got the thermals right for the i7) and the m3 should also be totally fine. But it changes the proposition somewhat once you're looking at the price of those models.

Yeah, my gut feeling is that M3 is going to be the way to go as the chip is designed to live in a case that small and it's definitely going to be a decent performance upgrade over the Celeron. I think you'll see diminishing returns on the i5 and i7 relative to the prices.

I just ordered this for my wife

Sony Xperia XZ1 compact 4.6 Inch HD Screen, Android 8.0 Oreo, UK SIM-Free Smartphone with 4 GB RAM and 32 GB Storage (Single SIM) - Horizon Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074VGF1ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ddQ5BbDFG7H0M

Sorry I ignored all advice in this thread but to replace her 2013 Moto g I think it represents a good deal. She wants to be able to take better photos, the only apps she uses are Facebook WhatsApp and maps. And she wants something small and robust.

Anyway I did a small amount of research then impulse bought at £200.

I think it's pretty much the only tiny phone anyone has made in the last year so if you really need something that small it's probably the best option. Sony's software is generally inoffensive. Don't expect much from the camera, a budget phone is still a budget phone, but it's obviously going to nicely outperform a 2013 budget phone.

The XZ Premium flagship from last year is only 230 on Amazon. Snapdragon 835. Unless the form factor is essential this should be a much better phone for not much more money.