Sign in to follow this  
Khatum

Failed BoTMeet Thread (use the stickied one)

27 members have voted

1. 1. Interested?

• Absolutely!
    • Yes, but only if it's in the UK/nearby to where I live
    • Maybe, depends on location/price/period
    • No, I can't afford to travel
    • No, stick to pubs

People,

While we didn't have a "proper" BoTMeet this year, but was replaced with an equally awesome, if not awesome-er Sharpcon '11, it's still over and thus it is time to think about next year's BoTMeet (or replace it with another wedding).

Funs were had (and have been had for the last 3 years (I don't believe there was a BoTmeet before that?)) in the pubs and parks and curry-shops and what not, but maybe it's time to throw everything around and steer it into a new direction.

I talked about this with Ian, Nick and Sam during our Scotland trip (and I told Tom-phat about it last Saturday) and they seemed to like the idea, so here I am making a thread to propose it to the masses.

Before I start, though, keep in mind that this is just an idea and I realize that it will require additional organizing (and the possible extra costs that can come with it (especially for the jobless). I'm just trying to find out if people would be interested in this, so please look at this from an unbiased perspective and don't judge it with your wallet just yet.

The idea:

Instead of going to Birmingham or London or Glasgow and requiring everyone to get hotels or accommodation (I believe nobody actually lives in or near Birmingham these days), why not book a cottage of some sort for a weekend (Friday to Monday) in a countryside-ish region (or just outside of a town for ease of shopping and what not). Just a place for group of friends to hang around and have fun at.

Pubbing is fun and all, but it's still just that.. Pubbing. Sitting in a pub amidst a load of unknown people, sipping expensive drinks, tearing through expensive food and at 23:00 everybody has to get the fuck out. But at a cottage you have a property of your own where you can do whatever you want (most cottages have recreation possibilities like ping-pong, table football, pool, whatever) or simply go for a walk with everyone, have a massive BBQ, go for a swim, whatever.

I'm going to contradict myself now and talk about wallet-related things, but it would also be a lot cheaper because if you get a cottage that can house 25 people, you can split that price with 25. Generally speaking, per person that would be like £70-80 for a weekend (I doubt you can find hotels or accommodation for that in a major city). Food and drinks will also be cheaper since we would get the stuff from a supermarket (and unless the UK differs from Belgium, consumables are a lot cheaper in stores than in pubs).

All in all it simply comes down to this: are people willing to travel around to go to a cottage or a chalet with just the people from BoT (and friends) in a "remote" area (read: not a city center, more like forests ot beaches).

I for one know of a couple of very nice cottages/chalets in the Ardennes that are pretty sweet and cheap and are in amazingly beautiful areas. I'm also pretty sure you guys know of similar things in the UK (could even be Wales for all I care).

Examples:

In Belgium: Malmedy (basic, €76 per person if we maximize the people (25))

In Belgium: Butgenbach (more luxurious, €108 per person if we maximize the people (26))

Random one I found in the UK just to illustrate: Derbyshire (goes for £1400-4500 a week, so a weekend should be cheaper and manageable).

Edited by Nacey

I really like the idea of getting a cabin and chilling there and going for walks and stuff. A lot of them will also have activities within the grounds, so could be fun to do archery or things like that as a group (and prove my IRL huntard skills!)

I heard this mentioned last week and I think it is a fantastic idea.

There are plenty of these places around in the UK, website like this one have a lot listed.

It's pretty affordable too. For examle, if you get 20 people to put £80 in each, we could probably get somewhere for a week (maybe a weekend with a few days either side) and people could stay for as long as suits them.

Id love to join for something like that, location/price wouldnt be an issue, it just depends on the "when" in my case.. tho i should be free round summer, hard to say as of now...mind you, a setting like that seems to be made for a horror/slasher movie, and with all the psychos weve got in bot, im not so sure afterall...

I'm in and am pretty sure Sam is also. The downside for distance is cost, which may become more of a factor if/when i've moved out.

If it's UK (attempting not to be biased, but failing) then a fair few of us are likely to drive, meaning going for activities, cinema, bowling, bingo etc is much easier. :)

Great idea the only thing that could stop me would be clashes with other things.

That's why we have this thread a whole year in advance ;) The sooner we figure out if there's a general interest, the faster we can pin a date and the less chance we have of events overlapping.

This does require some commitment, though. I know a lot of people like to go to conventions or festivals, and those events probably haven't announced their dates for next year just yet. So if we decide now that the BoTMeet happens on ie. 17-20 August 2012 and you sign up for it, but a month later GenericPokemonCon 2012 announces that it'll happen during the same weekend, I expect people to decide in favor of the BoTMeet.

In that aspect pubbing is a lot easier because it doesn't matter who shows up or not, but when we're going for a cottage and everyone that said they would come is required to come and pay their part, then I expect people to do so.

bingo

H5uCQ.jpg

Edited by Khatum

If people want to do this then the answer is that we pick a date soon. Not literally right now, but ideally in the next few months, and definitely before the end of the year. And then people simply have to arrange other things around it.

A couple of events to consider:

Euro 2012: June 8th - July 1st.

London Olympics: July 27th - August 12th.

Neither of these are absolute reasons not to do something at the same time, but some of us would be watching relevant parts of the football and some people may have Olympic tickets since it is in the UK. For the football I am happy to watch that in cottage/pub wherever we are.

If we did try to avoid these then mid-late August would probably be best but I guess would also be the most expensive. Perhaps people could contribute known dates of conventions and similar that they would not be prepared to miss for this, I think there are a few in August usually?

No Glastonbury next year so that's one less thing to worry about.

Whatever BoTMeet ends up being, or wherever, I'll be going. So far this sounds like it'll be cheaper than Glasgow was :P

I am choosing the "interested" option. Obviously time and money can be an issue, but if I know ahead enough, both can be arranged. Some cottage in a countryside area sounds great to me. Especially in the UK - I would really love to have a look around there. Belgium should be nice as well. I remember only little from my last trip there at the age of six. I don't find central Europe that interesting for me, but if people are interested, I can have a look around my country as well. :P

Post Edit: Alps sound good to me. And judging by the skating of some of my English friends, skiing will be a real fun.

Edited by Jenyk

I find Winter is harder to book time off for, so if we were thinking January then we need to get cracking with the planning.

I'd also rather not wait until December 2012 to see you all again :P

@Jenyk: Hehe, the Alps and skiing would be pretty funky for BoTMeet2012 but much to Marteen's disappointment I will have to play the money card on that one as that could get quite expensive :(

I'm happy with the idea of going to somewhere in the UK or Europe and renting some kind of cottage, would be awesome :)

The camping 'anime' festival is the only one in the summer I'd be going to, which is usually end of July, start of August. The big convention other people would go to is usually two weeks after that. Dates for next year should be out soon.

Could I suggest June as it is starting to warm up but is not during any school/bank holiday.

Also are we looking at long weekend?

On location, skiing area are very cheap during the non-season times and offer up walking/biking/drinking/touristing although there are very reduced flights so that is an issue. Ryanair/Easyjet locations in emerging european economies also offer nice cheap options. Although the level or organisation is less.

Within the UK if you want to have a pretty location my personal preferences are North Wales, Highland Scotland, Lake district or Cornwall. This is just personal taste but I find these to be the locations that justify the travel from an aesthetic point of view. (Although there are many other pretty bits of the UK).

As an example of a similar trip, I went with a group of 10 friends to stay in a cottage. It worked out at about 70 GBP per person for a long weekend in a high spec cottage. It was made easier by everyone being couples to make best use of the beddding arrangement. We stayed in llangaflan which is the very north west tip of wales mainland. In the area are castle lakes and snowdon (a very tall mountain with optional train to the top for those who dont like walking).

If we go within the UK away from the city it is likely we would need to maximise the use of cars, either by grouping up or those with cars ferrying people from stations.

Could I suggest June as it is starting to warm up but is not during any school/bank holiday.
This will be an issue for those who work in education.

Interested.

As mentioned though if we're doing anything for any length of time then I need to know reasonbly in advance, as longer holidays take a bit more notice and I like to book them early.

As for avaiability my only solid plan for next year is the big summer anime con (will know dates in a couple of weeks most likely) and maybe the Hut depending on whether I go. Other things can be worked around any Botmeet.

I am making a Google Docs spreadsheet which we will use to collect interest and dates so that we can plan this with lots of warning for everyone.

Interested.

As mentioned though if we're doing anything for any length of time then I need to know reasonbly in advance, as longer holidays take a bit more notice and I like to book them early.

As for avaiability my only solid plan for next year is the big summer anime con (will know dates in a couple of weeks most likely) and maybe the Hut depending on whether I go. Other things can be worked around any Botmeet.

Also in consideration that you'll need to get time off for our actual honeymoon next year as well. Amecon (the convention likely to be happening over the summer) should be announcing their dates for the con after the one this year (weekend after this), I don't currently know the plans for Toko. Either way, hopefully we can get some dates for you shortly as to when we can/can't make.

In general, this might be a nice idea to try, if costs permit. I know at there are various places in the lake district that do some form of cottage hire, which could be quite nice. Another option is to do either something like Centerparcs in the UK, in villas of about 4-6 people, or there is a similar Belgium equivalent which I've done a couple times: Sunparks. These kinds of things offer a lot of activity options too. These kinds of options cost around £400 for four people depending on the time of year/villa, for a good 3 or 4 nights. And all the free swimming \o/

I would love to do camping stuff with people and I might try to arrange something like that on a smaller scale but I know it really doesn't suit some people so I think we can forget that for anything where we are trying to get everyone there.

A self catering rental cottage / complex for us all sounds like great fun.

I remember my family went down to a holiday village in Cornwall (some time ago) and we had our own houses next door to each other.

Was right near the beach for wandering about, and had various on site facilities too- cinema, arcade, swimming pool, etc.

Found a couple of prices for those kinds of things:

Penstowe

Seaview

Alternatively South Wales could be good, somewhere near the Forest of Dean.

Or maybe Yorkshire, the moors and the coast.