Sign in to follow this  
Nacey

Things That You Want (Or Have) But Absolutely Do Not Need

They don't even make GU10s in the dimmer only bulbs so I was meaning the white temperature ones. Those seem like they would be fine to be honest. I have no desire to recreate The Haunted House.

We found we make much more use of the colours than we thought we would, but it really depends what you plan to do. Colours are entirely underwhelming if all you have is one bulb in the ceiling but can create great effects letting you really change the feeling of a room in a lot of clever ways if you have a few light around. In the lounge just having the ceiling light and one lightstrip down the bookcase already lets us easily change the room from feeling smart when we have guests who we need to look smart to over to feeling nice and cozy when we want to curl up and play games.

Like any kind of room decoration, it depends how creative you want to be, the nice thing about the coloured hue is if used well it lets you make the kind of changes to a room that would otherwise require changing furniture or paint with just a voice command.

If I was looking at one bulb per room then I'd just get the coloured ones but our living/dining room is eight and the bedroom is five so it gets a bit crazy at £50 per bulb or whatever they are.  I can certainly imagine setting the lighting to different styles but I don't think I'd ever want that lighting to be red or purple rather than some shade of white. It seems more useful for something like an LED strip which could add a nice colour while keeping the main light(s) on a complementary shade of white.

I mean I'm not even doing this right now anyway, was just interested as I think I'll end up picking some up at some point.

You can always drop over sometime and take a look at our setup; I find we use the colours a lot more often than we thought we would but I had similar thoughts to you initially.

That said spots are super pricey. If we did our hall (6 spots) I'd be hard pressed to justify the cost of colours.

On the other hand if you're not doing colours, there's a strong argument for not bothering with hue at all and just going with smart switches. Much cheaper as you just need the one switch at more like £20 to control the set of existing bulbs and you can use it just as well with Home. IKEA also do their own (cheaper - £12 per white GU10) smart bulbs that do whites as do a few others, as the colour response is really the only thing that makes the hue premium worth paying.

It's probably too early for you to answer this but how long do these bulbs last. Between my hall and kitchen i basically change a bulb a week which is just a pain in the arse really rather than a huge cost.

They're rated for 15000 hours or something, so I guess 5-15 years depending on location and your usage patterns. But you can get regular LED bulbs that last that long anyway. I have 20 of these sockets in my flat running whatever LED bulbs came with the flat and we've not had a single bulb go in two years. Maybe have a look at those.

1 hour ago, Tiran said:

On the other hand if you're not doing colours, there's a strong argument for not bothering with hue at all and just going with smart switches. Much cheaper as you just need the one switch at more like £20 to control the set of existing bulbs and you can use it just as well with Home. IKEA also do their own (cheaper - £12 per white GU10) smart bulbs that do whites as do a few others, as the colour response is really the only thing that makes the hue premium worth paying.

Valid points, though swapping wall switches out seems like it could get a bit messy when renting. Probably wouldn't go with IKEA, can't see it ever getting good integration with Home/Echo. The advantage of Hue seems to be that it's probably going to stick around, it's getting good support for other services, and there's the option to expand later if you suddenly feel the need to turn your living room magenta. But there's certainly an up-front cost associated with that which may not be worthwhile.

Oh I have other questions:

Can you do sub rooms? Or alternatively can a bulb belong to two rooms? Say you had an open plan living/dining room as I currently do, can you have a room that does the whole thing and a room that does half of the bulbs? So when I tell Home to "turn the main room lights on" it does the whole room, but "turn the living room lights on" only does the ones around the TV. Or whatever.

And on the subject of colours, how is the colour support on Google Home? Does it understand colours by name already or do you have to define them yourself? What about different temperatures of white?

16 minutes ago, Nacey said:

Oh I have other questions:

Can you do sub rooms? Or alternatively can a bulb belong to two rooms? Say you had an open plan living/dining room as I currently do, can you have a room that does the whole thing and a room that does half of the bulbs? So when I tell Home to "turn the main room lights on" it does the whole room, but "turn the living room lights on" only does the ones around the TV. Or whatever.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7072090?hl=en

"Note: Each light can only be added to one room. It can't be assigned to multiple rooms." (Under Step 4 > Add a Room)

So I'm guessing not, nice idea though.

Edited by Fyria

Oh interesting, I'm not sure how true these responses are as to why different white voice commands only seems to work for the Hue coloured bulbs and not the Hue white ones:

"The white/ambience lights do not work with Ghome in that sense. They can be dimmed (same with the while bulbs) by voice, but not change the temperature. I think this is a Philips issue they need to fix, not a google issue. Only lights that chance color can be fully controlled by voice."

"I had the same problem with my tunable white bulbs from Lightify. I think Google Home cannot control the color of non-RGBW bulbs."

It sounds like there may currently still be some issues with being able to do anything other than vocally dim the white bulbs. Maybe that's something that will be fixed at some point. Has anyone seen any other information on this?

Edited by Fyria

Another Hue question @Tiran, if you set a colour, i.e. green, and then switch the lights off, when you switch them on again, do they flip back to a default white, or do they use the last colour you selected for them? If they use the last colour, this is less of an issue for the whites requiring the phone app to change to bright/daylight etc, because once you're happy with a white setting for a given room, I'm not sure how often you'd change it. Otherwise it'll be the case of just going with whatever white is default, unless phone is to hand to change it, but that feels like it may be fiddly and like it isn't really making as good a use out of having the bulbs. It was just a thought really on the whole colour vs just white weigh-up thing.

Edited by Fyria

I think we're on page 3 of discussing light bulbs now :P

Must admit though, you're making me want some - Especially for my D&D room when I get my flat... Ambient light colours depending on the current game situation sounds epic!

Okay, lots of questions and I'll try to answer them:

WeMo smart switches work with Home, as does anything compatible with SmartThings (which I believe is a Samsung program, but others have bought in to it).

I know Lightify bulbs work with Home, again it's fairly easy to check online though which ones do or don't.

You cannot define a bulb to be part of more than one room. You can call out individual bulbs though, so "Turn the Lounge Ceiling light on" works to just turn the single bulb on while "Turn the Lounge lights on" hits everything. You can set up specific phrases using various third party applications but you'd have to set them up individually and modify if you change bulbs.

It does understand spoken colours, though I can't seem to find a list of what it does or doesn't go for. White, Yellow, Pink etc. all work fine, it manages "beige" and "daylight" so it seems fairly good but I'm not sure how to describe a lot of other colour temperatures. As said we only have coloured bulbs so Sarahs checking of the ambient ones may be true, I have no way to check.

If you turn the bulb off by the app or by home it will return to its last colour and brightness, if you cut the power by hitting the light switch (or after a power cut or similar) it returns to a default classic warm-white at high brightness.

Not sure what you mean Dave, the Hue bulbs use Zigbee rather than WiFi and the hub connects via cable. I understand there was a security flaw found last year but it was firmware patched before the flaw was even made public, you can never promise a device is security flaw-free of course.

7 minutes ago, Tiran said:

It does understand spoken colours, though I can't seem to find a list of what it does or doesn't go for. White, Yellow, Pink etc. all work fine, it manages "beige" and "daylight" so it seems fairly good but I'm not sure how to describe a lot of other colour temperatures. As said we only have coloured bulbs so Sarahs checking of the ambient ones may be true, I have no way to check.

If you turn the bulb off by the app or by home it will return to its last colour and brightness, if you cut the power by hitting the light switch (or after a power cut or similar) it returns to a default classic warm-white at high brightness.

As far as I have read, it generally accepts a lot (but not all) of the standard hex colour names (i.e. https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_names.asp) plus some others (i.e. daylight etc), but I don't know for sure and obviously can't test them out myself.

Okay, that's handy to know the specifics of.

If someone wants to hack into my light bulbs and change the colours they can go hog wild as far as I'm concerned.

So in what might end up being an ongoing series of similar posts, today I received my (delayed due to unexpected stock shortage) copy of the new album by Ayreon, The Source

Ayreon is the name of a multi-part multi-vocalist sci-fi rock opera project by Dutch musician, hippy and sci-fi nerd Anthony Arjen Lucassen which originally began with a single double-album release in 1995: "Ayreon: The Final Experiment". On this record, scientists in the year 2084 attempt to prevent a global apocalyptic war by sending telepathic messages into the past. They are received by a blind minstrel named Ayreon in the time of King Arthur, he attempts to warn the world from his visions but things do not go well.

This album led to an expanded series of 9 albums with (the whole project taking the name of the first record and the subtitle of which became the title on later releases), the plotlines of 7 of which were tied together (sometimes retroactively) into one overall narrative leading from before the Big Bang off into the distant future, concentrating mostly around the immortal telepathically-linked Forever race from the Planet Y and Forever's attempts to regain the emotions it previously had during a time when they were more like humans, including their creation of the Human race from their own genetic material and both their and Humanity's attempts to prevent the extermination of the Human race in the year 2084.  

The new record is a prequel of sorts, chronicling the events which led the "human form" of the Forever race to become the aquatic telepaths they eventually became - beginning with the destruction of their home planet Alpha at the hands of the AI they turned over all their infrastructure to.

The "absolutely do not need" comes in here in that I blew £40 on the limited edition art book version of the album, which considering it's up on Spotify is completely unnecessary. Not one single regret though. Just look at it. 

Edited by Brynneth

4CDs and 1 DVD, LP-sized artbook. Full album in Stereo and 5.1 and instrumental versions of all tracks in Stereo, plus making of documentary.

@Nacey - Some time ago you posted a link for a pair of clip on headphones that were wireless, and there was a discussion about how this should have existed some time ago but never did... but I can't find it. Any ideas?

No, I remember seeing the post and thinking that this was exactly what I need, but I now can't find it. I think it was an arbitrary find that you shared with us, but I've searched and re-read half of this thread t no avail :-( Ah well...

I'm looking for clip on wireless headphones if anyone has any ideas. Like the below, but wireless:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141786134721?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=42401403294&rlsatarget=pla-355093287964&abcId=1128956&adtype=pla&merchantid=113614432&poi=&googleloc=9046320&device=c&campaignid=857333742&crdt=0

Specific situation:
I have started running to work some days, with a view to run to work all the time when I'm fitter. I want to listen to music\interval timers while I do this, but don't want trailing wires. In-ear solutions either don't fit well, or you can't hear the bass properly due to a bad seal (I'm not needing this to an audiophile standard, but listening to music without hearing any bass just doesn't work). Additionally, my case on my phone doesn't sit well with a lot of 3.5mm jacks, and I have historically ended up breaking the headphone port by accidentally tugging on it while moving. I will always be running with a backpack, which does have an old CD player pouch where I have been keeping my phone.

No idea. Literally no clip-on wireless ones ever reviewed on Headphone List. I despise in-ear ones as well since they never fit properly and fall out when just walking - you can get ones made to your own ears but as they're professional grade be prepared to pay up to (or over!) a grand for those. My solution was just to invest in over-ear cans and live with a sweaty head. 

For running & the gym I just use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urbanears-Plattan-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00XQ37XR6

They're cheap, sound fine & are wireless. If you get upset with the sweat building on them, then just push kitchen roll on them afterwards to absorb the sweat.

They're also load of those spot version things (in-ear with strap around back) which are the same. e.g.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072MXKRJ1/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bH8tD_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=8ZCSMFAN7ZZAV7CK6WAQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=47084367-a6a8-5268-903f-2bef76b19d4a&pf_rd_i=4085751